How on earth do you make Meringues in the kitchenaid? 3rd batch ruined!

(16 Posts)

grin

bundaberg Sun 27-Oct-13 18:47:25

yes, there is.

you can't make meringues up a mountain.

but just to be really dull, and repetitive, there is a thing about atmospheric pressure and humidity that makes even the best orchestrated meringues go gloopy

mindgone Sun 27-Oct-13 17:04:36

I have a Kenwood Chef, and have always put both the egg whites and the sugar in together, like duckegg80, and turned it up to full whack. Never had a problem! I do the same for a pavlova, always all in together on full whack, I am known for my pavlovas! Have never seen it in a recipe book though!

bacon Sun 27-Oct-13 08:38:00

I must be doing something wrong as the first one wasnt too bad but weeped terrible which is a sign of over whisked eggs. The inside was foamy - unset.

2nd one was very wet and mixed it to see if I could revive it cooked it but was also flat again foamy - some weeping.

3rd one was too soupy to bother cooking.

I was wondering if my egg whites are overwhisked as they are like clouds perhaps I'm going past the stage and they are just on the edge of separating. Its difficult to accurately say what is soft peak stage is.

Duckegg80 - I have considered this I have seen 1/4 sugar added first.

Many people say just pour the sugar in pretty quickly.

If you watch any videos on kitchenaid making meringues are very very quick.

MrsDoomsPatterson Sun 27-Oct-13 07:00:22

Agree, you must whisk until glossy, at first it will look separated and gloppy but carry on!

Duckegg80 Sun 27-Oct-13 06:59:30

I have followed the very-wrong-but-always-works-for-me method of putting all the sugar in at the start and egg whites on top and whisking at a pretty fast speed from the get go. I read about it in the ballymaloe cookbook, and is how they always do it. It works for me anyway.

MrsDoomsPatterson Sun 27-Oct-13 06:58:32

Yes, a spoonful at a time. It must be gradual, I always whisk my whites to stiff peaks too.

DontCallMeDaughter Sun 27-Oct-13 06:56:01

You're not whisking long enough after adding the sugar.

I only whisk for a min or two before adding sugar, 1oz at a time. Then when it's all added, whisk until it's thick and meringue like.

I have never, in all my meringue making years, over-whisked the egg white. Just keep going until it's right!!

nannycook Sun 27-Oct-13 06:44:59

Bacon, grrr bet you're annoyed? If its any help i allways add the sugar a teaspoon at a time, bit time consuming but its what you gotta do.

could be the weather. honest. is it raining your way?

bundaberg Sat 26-Oct-13 18:56:45

also, you might be adding the sugar too late? you don't want stiff peaks you want to do it earlier than that and it'll stiffen as you incorporate the sugar

bundaberg Sat 26-Oct-13 18:55:35

are you adding the sugar a spoonful at a time or all together?

you need to add it very gradually

twattock Sat 26-Oct-13 18:51:37

how fresh are your eggs? really fresh ones don't come up very well sometimes.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sat 26-Oct-13 10:52:42

I have never had a problem with whisking egg whites tbh.

I usually do it on 8, or 10 if I am in a hurry, and I wait until the whites are very stiff before adding the sugar.

I am not sure where you are going wrong, maybe you are adding the sugar too soon?

bacon Sat 26-Oct-13 10:20:37

I am doing something seriously wrong. I must be overwhisking the egg whites but unsure when I'm going over. 15 eggs have been wasted.

The issue isnt having egg york in the mix, clean bowl/grease free utensils as all this has been done. Also the eggs are room temp so I have done all the prerequisites.

Can you confirm to me the speed and the time you whisk for. I thought I had peaks but the minute I add sugar it turns into a soup. I have watched some youtubes but nothing has confirmed what I am doing wrong.

Very frustrating. Luckily I have made custard with some of the yolks and plan to make icecream with the rest.

Its too late now for the party but plan to try another one again but these pesky snow things are getting me down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now