DD wants to make her Mary Rose model for school out of sweets/icing/cake. Any ideas??

(7 Posts)
lookoveryourshouldernow Sat 26-Oct-13 23:12:03

...Cadburys Flakes - crumbled for all the weather beaten planks/hull

roguepixie Sat 26-Oct-13 11:02:09

It was the best cake I ever made. I did two of them and set it up as if they were fighting each other, a la Master & Commander. Even though I say so myself, they looked amazing smile.

That said, and to stop me getting above myself, the cake karma then came to bite me on the arse...DS wanted a dalek the year after...the least said about that effort the better. It was not a success and resulted in a speedy visit to the cake shop to buy one grin.

twofalls Sat 26-Oct-13 10:48:09

Wow rouge. That sounds amazing. Will have a look, thanks. I also thought about doing it sinking!!

decaffwithcream Sat 26-Oct-13 09:54:24

"Maybe persuade her to show the Mary Rose as it is sinking, so you only need to do half a ship?!" grin

I would have to go a step further and just do the sea with a big swirly icing ripple where the ship has just disappeared beneath the waves.

Such is the extent of my baking ability.

Rogue's cake sounds great though.

roguepixie Sat 26-Oct-13 09:48:33

I once made galleons for DS's birthday cake. The model/templates came from aan Australian Woman's Weekly cake book (you can get them here) but I don't have the book anymore.

If I recall correctly: the sponge was made and cut to shape (you will need at least two sponges, possibly three for the bulk head etc). I made the railings from Curly Wurlies, the planking was cadbury choc fingers, masts were kebab skewers and sails were paper but rigging was licorice laces. The cakes were iced with butter cream. I used small plastic toys for crew and cannons but malteasers would make terrific cannon balls. You could use dabs of butter cream to keep them in place.

I hope this helps confused. It can be done and makes a really spectacular cake. There might be something on-line that would help more?

www.amazon.co.uk/Birthday-Australian-Womens-Weekly-Essential/dp/1907428429

books.google.co.uk/books?id=JdidHywoo_gC&pg=PT90&lpg=PT90&dq=australian+women's+weekly+galleon+cake&source=bl&ots=hgzcIT4hcs&sig=hhPTPFGNR84X2lax8RymfUnmXuw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UoFrUpKDDMrOhAf2xoGoBA&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=australian%20women's%20weekly%20galleon%20cake&f=false with this one - go to page 4(of 5) it is the ghostly galleon.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 26-Oct-13 09:43:47

Maybe persuade her to show the Mary Rose as it is sinking, so you only need to do half a ship?!

Otherwise, Cadbury fingers are pretty good wood substitutes for decorating cakes

twofalls Sat 26-Oct-13 09:40:02

I am not very creative where baking is concerned. DD has got her heart set on making her model of the Mary Rose in cake form. I have suggested, rather than making the whole ship as a cake we make a sponge, make some blue butter icing and ice it to depict the sea. Then I thought she could make a ship out of sweets/icing/somthing. She wants to make the ship out of liquiorice and the cannons as maltesers but I just can't see it working!

Any ideas?? Not sure where to post this but hopefully someone can help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now