Help! How can I rescue dry icing on my cake?

(9 Posts)
Beesandbutterflies Fri 25-Oct-13 23:15:29

Please help! I've decorated a cake with sugarpaste but have put too much icing sugar on and now it looks dry and dull. Is there anything I can do? I'm a bit gutted it looked great until then hmmhmm

RibenaFiend Fri 25-Oct-13 23:50:56

Get a fan and blow as much off as humanly possible.

Then, if you've nerves of steel, moisten a pastry brush and "paint" the cake. Don't over dampen the sugarpaste!!!

It usually removes the excess and leaves it looking bright and shiny again.

Good luck!

soapnuts Sat 26-Oct-13 12:54:51

You've probably one it by now but Crisco (horrible stuff but useful with icing) or coconut oil - melt a small amount between palms and gently smooth over the surface - I don't know if other oils would work but I'd guess so - gives a lovely sheen - just don't overdo it!

LeaveTheBastid Sat 26-Oct-13 13:15:29

Steam. Give it a blast from a couple of feet away with the steam from an iron. I do it with all of my iced cakes, it's hot enough to melt the excess icing sugar but not hot enough to melt the icing. Gives it a lovely finish.

I was going to suggest steam.

I regularly steam mine with the iron. I also use cornflour instead of icing sugar for rolling out. Seems to come off easier.

Beesandbutterflies Sun 27-Oct-13 07:25:13

Thanks! Update is I used a hairdryer to blow off the excess, then painted w vodka then dried with the hairdryer the rubbed in some trex, looked much better but was still dry and brittle. With decoration was fine.smilesmile
Will try steam another time, didn't see those messages in time. Is there such a thing as a non stick rolling pin? I'm googling now x

Yes you can get a non stick rolling pin.

Ebay or amazon probably the cheapest.

Beesandbutterflies Sun 27-Oct-13 08:01:25

Are they any good?

Edendance Mon 04-Nov-13 19:10:51

Rolling pins will always stick, as the icing will to the surface without some sort of non stick substance. You can use Trex but I find my rolling pin tends to slide across the icing then instead of rolling. I'm still an icing sugar fan and have never had a problem with it drying out but I don't use it until I'm rolling it out. When I'm kneading the icing and/adding colouring then I knead blobs of Trex into it to soften it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now