Can I ice baking parchment?

(7 Posts)
COCKadoodledooo Thu 24-Oct-13 16:13:53

Apologies for mental question blush

Am making an octopod cake for ds2's birthday and the background is undersea style. Was planning on using white icing then shaking on turquoise sugar crystals for the sea and yellow sprinkles for the sea bed.

My silicone board is too small! Am going to have to use my big chopping board, which will obviously need covering with something before icing - will parchment work do you think?

Help please!

tb Thu 24-Oct-13 17:01:21

Foil?

wonkylegs Thu 24-Oct-13 17:05:06

I've used foil under icing over doubled up cardboard when I needed a giant cake board.

COCKadoodledooo Thu 24-Oct-13 17:49:23

Thanks but I was afraid you'd say foil! I have a 'thing' blush about knife blades and foil (you know, like fingernails down a blackboard), so would have to ask someone else to cut the cake!

Parchment wouldn't work then?

wonkylegs Thu 24-Oct-13 17:59:36

I suppose you could try firmly taping the parchment to the underside of the board so it didn't move.

Molecule Fri 25-Oct-13 21:22:02

You can't tape baking parchment securely as it is non stick, and the Sellotape starts to peel off. You can ice a cake on the parchment, but you could also roll a thin layer of icing directly onto the board (secure it with a little water) and then put the cake on that.

NoComet Fri 25-Oct-13 21:31:40

Partchment isn't so slippery it won't stick with parcel or gaffer tape, but why not just ice the board?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now