Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Chocolate cake in a cup......

(22 Posts)
pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 15:11:52

Followed a link to a recipe on another thread which lists oil as one of the ingredients. Not the best cook in the world (understatement of the year grin) and don't know which oil to use?

Anyone who can advise?

YDdraigGoch Thu 24-Oct-13 15:13:29

Sunflower oil would be fine. Not olive oil.

BornToFolk Thu 24-Oct-13 15:14:00

Vegetable or sunflower oil should work fine. Good luck!

pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 15:16:30

Great, thanks! (as proof if my 'crap cook status' I was going to use olive oil blush)

YDdraigGoch Thu 24-Oct-13 15:20:30

You could also use melted butter or marg. I don't know why not olive oil - but all my recipes which say to use oil say not olive oil.

pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 15:23:23

Great, thanks! (as proof of my 'crap cook status I was going to use olive oil blush)

Yamyoid Thu 24-Oct-13 15:26:42

I always nuke it for half the time or else it ends up rock solid.

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 24-Oct-13 15:29:13

Olive oil is very strongly flavoured: I wouldn't fancy olive oil tasting chocolate cake thlenvy

pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 15:30:38

Yamyoid, how long do you nuke it for?

Melted butter sounds nicer than oil, I might try that instead!

Wish DD would hurry up and get out of school, I need to get home and start making cake! wink

UriGHOULer Thu 24-Oct-13 15:31:02

I always use olive oil. It's all we've got in...they turn out really well.

you do need cocoa powder though. i once tried to make one without...it was pale and not good.

nemno Thu 24-Oct-13 15:31:15

If you are using the BBC Good Food recipe OP, please note I just made a date and walnut version (used no cocoa, a bit more flour and half sunflower oil half butter) and it was done in less than 2 mins in a 750W microwave. It would have been hopelessly burnt leaving it for anything like the recommended 4-5 mins.

It was ok, satisfied my cake craving but was much more like a pudding steamed sponge. Needed cream or custard. I feel a bit overfull now envy

nemno Thu 24-Oct-13 15:32:28

Crossed posts with at least 4 of you!

MrTumblesKnickers Thu 24-Oct-13 15:32:38

Why not olive oil? (also crap cook).

I have also made a carrot cake in a cup and that was lovely too.

HairyPorter Thu 24-Oct-13 15:33:14

They're strange cakes! I tried it after seeing it on a thread here. Dc love it but it tastes nothing like proper cake IMO.

nemno Thu 24-Oct-13 15:34:43

Light olive oil would probably be ok, it has less flavour and fewer bits to burn than extra virgin!

pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 16:20:15

Oooh MrTumblesKnickers, do you have the recipe for the carrot cake version? I love carrot cake but rarely have it because I'm the only one in the house who eats it and feel a bit guilty eating a whole one to myself! blush

MrTumblesKnickers Thu 24-Oct-13 16:27:17

Sorry please, I can't find the exact recipe I used but it was very similar to this one.

If you have icing sugar and cream cheese in you can even do the icing...

FunnyRunner Thu 24-Oct-13 17:11:31

MrTumble that sounds lush! grin Any other amazing links?

MrTumblesKnickers Thu 24-Oct-13 18:45:28

It's a slippery slope, FunnyRunner - if I give you any more links you might end up eating every meal out of a mug.

open at your peril

pleasesleepallnight Thu 24-Oct-13 19:31:12

Oh my giddy aunt - 30 cake-in-a-mug recipes?!

I am going to try one a week day

Cake went well today, added orange flavouring instead of vanilla - went down a storm!

MinesAPintOfBlood Fri 25-Oct-13 11:22:19

pleasesleep you need to freeze a sliced carrot cake and put one slice in your packed lunch every morning.

And MrTumbles I will hold you responsible when I no longer fit in my jeans. The chocolate and peanut butter cake in a mug is delicious!

FunnyRunner Fri 25-Oct-13 11:30:27

Choc and peanut butter cake?!

<Faints>

Thanks MrT wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now