Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Has anyone made a Tardis cake?

(9 Posts)
Mckayz Wed 23-Oct-13 17:23:19

My brother is 25 in December and has asked me to make him a Tardis cake.

I am thinking of making a flat one instead of a tall one. I was looking on Pinterest and they are all fantastic tall ones with real working lights on the top!!

DS2 is 5 2 days before my brother's birthday so I need it to be fairly simple if possible.

Also any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cakes for DS2 would be great.

Thank you

Grockle Thu 24-Oct-13 01:07:50

I made this one for DS last month. It didn't look quite as professional as this but DS loved it. Not hard to do... Just a square cake, cut into 4 quarters then stacked, covered in butter icing then fondant. Would have loved a flashing light on the top!

prettybird Thu 24-Oct-13 01:17:05

I made for ds a few years ago - there's a picture on my profile. It looked nowhere near as professional as the one grockle linked to though blush and also ended up being a bit like the leaning tour of Pisa blush

It was worth ordering up some proper blue paste (as opposed to liquid colouring) in order to get a good Tardis blue. I used a Jelly Tot for the light on top.

Mckayz Thu 24-Oct-13 03:30:53

Last time I made a tower cake it was a bit dodgy looking. I'm not sure if I want to risk it again. I've added a picture of it. grin maybe I'll do a practice run.

Yes I made a stand up one. Was actually easier than I anticipated.

Baked a big rectangle choc cake. Left to cool and cut into 5inch squares. Sandwich 4 on top of each other with choc butter cream. After the forth I put a dowel in the middle and a thin card on top. Stack another 4 layers.

Cover it all in vanilla butter cream and set aside.

For the outside I got some modelling paste and mixed 50-50 with normal fondant. Coloured it tardis blue. Rolled it out quite thick and cut out panels the same width and height as the cake. I left them to dry for two days, then used butter cream to stick them in the cake.

For the windows I found a template on line.

this was mine. not bad for a first attempt I think.

Mckayz Thu 24-Oct-13 17:42:28

That's brilliant!!

AlpacaPicnic Fri 25-Oct-13 20:23:33

Omg, mike, that is amazing!

Grockle Fri 25-Oct-13 20:35:17

Here is mine, part-made. Looked better when tidied up & the board was decorated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now