I need THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE IN THE WORLD please!

(22 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:35:05

Who has it?

I want it to be ultimate chocolately, with chocolate fondant type icing/filling. I want it to be stunning.

But, also, relatively easy to cook as I am no pro grin

Thank you in advance smile

This

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

But use 50% milk and dark chocolate in the cake, reduce the coffee to a tsp, and in the middle put a vanilla buttercream, mixed 50/50 with marscapone. Makes it less overwhelming.

I made it at the weekend and my family think it's the best cake I've ever made

Oh, and bake it in two tins, rather than trying to slice it yourself.

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:44:29

OMG that looks heavenly grin I shall make that then! Thanks for the tips.

If I bake it in two tins, rather than one, will I need to adjust the timings at all?

Yes, mine took about 50 minutes-ish.

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:49:08

how do I make vanilla buttercream? grin

About half a pack of butter, 1/3 box of icing sugar, tsp vanilla extract.
Beat together until creamy and fluffy.
Try not to eat it on its own.

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:52:33

thank you! ok, so, make the buttercream, mix with same amount of mascarpone, and spread into the middle, then cover the cake with the ganache?

nevergoogle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:55:46

oh goody, i do hope you are baking this cake for me!

i am all poorly sick after all. smile

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:56:53

ah, but, will you be able to keep it down? I would hate for it to go to waste...

nevergoogle Wed 23-Oct-13 12:00:17

i would get to taste it twice though, very efficient.

nevergoogle Wed 23-Oct-13 12:03:28

am signed off to rest this week. anti-emetics seem to work better if im not running around. so bored though. too ill to concentrate on any books or sewing.

fwiw i use betty crockers devils cake mix with the chocolate icing in a pot. it's lovely.

i'm a crap baker though.

I made the Rachel Allen chocolate cake last week (2 of them) and brought one into work (I added some orange essence, juice of 2 clementines, and zest of four clementines).

You'd think I was Delia Smith herself, the reaction I got. It is AMAZING.

DD ate most of the other (plain chocolate) one herself.

rachel allen chocolate mousse cake

No flour so coeliacs can eat it too.

bacon Wed 23-Oct-13 12:11:37

best chocolate cakes are the BBC Good food cake and
www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/
I use Lindys cake for celebration cakes as it rises enough to make 8cm depth.
Also BBC do another cake - It doesnt rise as high but very tasty -www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4577/wedding-cake-rich-dark-chocolate-cake

All three are the best proper chocolate cakes.

Yep, that's right Pavlov.
Do enjoy it. I'm tempted to make another one soon, it was so good.

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Oct-13 12:24:36

oh no, more choice! It is not for any other reason than I woke up the other day wanting my mum's special chocolately chocolate cake that he made for no other reason that she felt like it. Alas I can't get the recipe from her where she now is sad so I need another one to replace it. That's why it has to be fab!

NG oh you poor thing having to be on the anti-emetics. I found the same, if I kept relatively still, and took them like clockwork, I might only puke once or twice a day. I ended up thinking 'well, if it's going to come up anyway, might as well eat what I like' and so I did! There are some things that are just not got on the upward journey though...

Oh such a pleasant topic for a cake thread! I hope you feel a little better soon. It's shite.

nevergoogle Wed 23-Oct-13 12:54:06

thanks pav, sweet stuff is about all i have an apetite for. looking forward to a picture of your chocolate creation.

PeerMon Wed 23-Oct-13 13:33:11

The best in the world, you say?

Ok. I will let you in on the secret of mine!

www.renshawbaking.com/recipes/cupcake/chocolate-cupcake.html

bacon Thu 24-Oct-13 10:13:56

Any 'proper' chocolate cake has to include real 50% -70% quality chocolate. Cocoa powder if very dry and bitter and includes no cocoa butter - it is the remains of the chocolate process after the butter has been extracted that are made into powder. In my experience of making cakes you never achieve the wow factor with cocoa powder unless it is layered between lots of granche, fruits and cream.

To achieve an ultimate cake the recipe needs to include real chocolate and cream/yoghurt and usually a high % of sugar. This will give it moisture and full depth of flavour.

My MIL will make a chocolate cake with a victoria sponge recipe by omitting some flour and adding a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder sorry to say its as bland as the hills. It just doesnt taste of chocolate.

Chopsypie Thu 24-Oct-13 10:48:44

Nigella chocolate fudge cake.

Quite sickly though if you don't use quite bitter chocolate

tb Thu 24-Oct-13 15:44:56

ok here goes:

Cake
3 eggs
180g butter
180g good plain choc melted
180g castor sugar
180g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar and add melted chocolate.
Separate eggs, and add yolks
Fold in flour with a little milk if necessary - say 3 tbsp - to give smooth batter
Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold in

Divide between 2 8" tins and bake for about 20 mins

Sandwich with home made lemon curd

Icing
150g good plain chocolate melted
65g butter softened

Mix together, all to cool and pour over cake, or
Whisk with a balloon whisk until the colour of milk choc
Trowel on like a frosting

Note - may need double the quantity.

DD christened this icing 'picky cake icing' after she'd picked holes in a cake iced with it, when I stupidly left it within her reach.

tb Thu 24-Oct-13 15:46:12

Sorry, you could sandwich with the icing - especially with the whipped version, in which case you would definitely need double, or even triple the quantity.

We just like the contrast of chocolate and lemon curd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now