Decorating a christmas cake - for dummies!

(10 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Fri 18-Oct-13 14:22:13

I have no decorating skills at all. My mum makes the Christmas cake, and i marzipan and ice it using shop bought read to roll icing in white. It is always an 8 inch round cake.

Any ideas please on how to decorate it? Something very easy please, as I am not at all artistic either!

YDdraigGoch Fri 18-Oct-13 14:25:50

Get a little star cutter, and cut out stars from the left over icing and stick them to the cake with water.
Buy some edible silver dust and paint all the stars silver.

melodyangel Fri 18-Oct-13 16:10:35
melodyangel Fri 18-Oct-13 16:12:28

I cheat now and pour over lots of lovely sticky nuts and dried cranberries after I realised I hadn't decorated the cake one christmas eve. We all prefer it and it takes five minutes.

HappyAsEyeAm Fri 18-Oct-13 17:36:13

I like the stacked stars, melody. I wonder whether my non existent skills can accomplish it!

nannycook Fri 18-Oct-13 20:20:57

Happ but a set of snowflakes plungers from Amazon, no skill needed, buy some fondant from asda (not expensive) roll out fondant, cut out snowflakes, leave to dry, sprinkle with glitter( also cheap from asda , apply alittle water if you dont want to buy edible glue, and arrange over your cake, simples!!

bruffin Fri 18-Oct-13 20:30:20

American frosting makes a very simple but effective decoration for a christmas cake. It looks like soft peaks of snow. Then just some holly or something else as a centrepiece.

tb Sat 19-Oct-13 20:22:05

If you get get a flattish surface on the top - use the edge of a ruler, then plaster the sides with the royal icing and press the end of a knife blade against it and pull away. You'll get lots of little spiky peaks all around the side.

Alternatively, use a cake ribbon - hides a multitude of sins.

evertonmint Sun 20-Oct-13 22:15:13

I do stars with silver dust or silver balls as decorations on top and then a really beautiful ribbon.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 20-Oct-13 22:22:12

i can bake, but cannot ice, and TBH none of us are that bothered about royal icing, so I do a nut glaze instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now