Silicone bakeware vs 'traditional'

(4 Posts)
AlpacaPicnic Wed 16-Oct-13 23:06:57

I have made some excellent sandwich cakes in silicone 'tins' and find them very easy to use... but I have tried making cupcakes/muffins in individual silicone cases and they do not seem to cook properly on the bottom, they seem squidgy and sticky but not in a good way.

Does anyone find this, or is it my cooking? Any ideas how to combat it or should I admit defeat and go back to metal tins and paper liners?

mousmous Wed 16-Oct-13 23:16:12

Ifind this too.
but I still like to use them, because I don't need an extra muffin tray for baking and can chuck the forms into the washing mashine when finished

RoadToTuapeka Wed 16-Oct-13 23:17:33

I tried muffins in silicon trays, was awful, they stuck when I used them, tried different methods (oiling, no oiling) chucked them out in the end. Sorry no help!

I use individual muffin cases for individual hot puddings - 1/2/2/2 sponge mixture split between four muffin cases (maybe dollop of jam or syrup first), each microwaved for a minute ish, then drenched in custard. The sogginess doesn't matter a bit but it's a very convenient way of creating a quick, filling, indulgent pudding.

I get annoyed by my silicon loaf tin as it sags so much at the sides. Looks nicely rustic for most recipes but meant the ginger cake (v thin batter) spilled over. hmm and bread loaves are hard to slice.

I always base line my silicon sandwich tins so they can be turned out immediately, which reduces the sogginess lots.

My silicon ring tin is amazing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now