Please help how do I decorate?

(12 Posts)
FarOverTheRainbow Wed 16-Oct-13 20:56:58

I'm making some cupcakes for my DDs birthday party. I can make a nice vanilla sponge but I'm rubbish at decorating and I don't want them to look a mess but pretty. I enjoy baking so I want to do them
Myself so can some one please help me, what type of icing shall I use? Do I buy or make myself? How should I pipe it on so it is swirly??

Someone pleaseeee help me smile

nannycook Wed 16-Oct-13 22:01:15

Far, probaly best to use buttercream,.beat butter and icing sugar together till light and fluffy, if you're not used to buying piping bags then best start with disposible bags,and a big nozzle, practise first on some.greasproof paper,.pipe a swirl on top and put whatever decorations on.

nannycook Wed 16-Oct-13 22:01:57

Far, probaly best to use buttercream,.beat butter and icing sugar together till light and fluffy, if you're not used to buying piping bags then best start with disposible bags,and a big nozzle, practise first on some.greasproof paper,.pipe a swirl on top and put whatever decorations on.

FarOverTheRainbow Wed 16-Oct-13 22:42:08

Thank you nanny cook, I've brought a cheap piping bag from morrisons with different nozzles do you think that will be any good? Ill practice tomorrow that's a great idea thank you!

AlpacaPicnic Wed 16-Oct-13 22:51:13

I found it easier to do lots of little swirls rather than one big one... it gave kind of a hedehoggy look but was easier to control than one big swirl smile

BoundandRebound Wed 16-Oct-13 22:52:35

Hundreds and thousands and toppings are your friend

Smear on icing and coat with goodies

Parietal Wed 16-Oct-13 22:56:06

I do roll out icing cut into flowers or similar with cookie cutters (Lakeland have v good ones) and stuck on with regular icing. I don't like the taste of swirly buttercream.

nannycook Fri 18-Oct-13 14:15:34

Far how did you cake decs go? One you get the hang of piping a swirl its so easy and looks professional, even colour your buttercream once you gain confidence. Buttercream is very nice if you make it nice, i buy willow bitter and beat it in my mixer for about 10 mins, its light and fluffy and looks like double cream.

jojane Fri 18-Oct-13 14:20:49

Or just give the girls pots of icing and millions of sprinkles and let them do it themselves? Big hit at DDs party!

FarOverTheRainbow Fri 18-Oct-13 19:14:15

The first lot didn't turn out to good, how do you get it thick enough?

nannycook Fri 18-Oct-13 19:34:33

Far, you mean buttercream? I usually use a packet of willow,250 grms, and just over half box of a icing sugar( the bigger box of icing sugar).

atomicyoghurt Fri 18-Oct-13 19:43:21

Just keep adding icing sugar! Also if you add a spoonful of cream of tartar it will make the icing a bit stiffer. Start swirling on the outside edge and move in to the middle, press down slightly and then lift off. If it still looks crap sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now