Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

How do you like your brownies?

(27 Posts)
melodyangel Mon 14-Oct-13 16:00:51

I have been asked to make a stack of brownies for friends. They need to appeal to as many people as possible as they are for a family event. I have the basic recipe which turns out a chocolately but quite cakey brownie, so not fudgy. I can't change the basic recipe because of dietary requirements.

So please kind mumsnetters how do you like your brownies?

Nuts or no nuts? If yes to nuts what type?

Chocolate chips/ chunks?

Anything else?

PervCat Mon 14-Oct-13 16:01:38

no nuts

real chocolate not cocoa

underdone

MrsDoomsPatterson Mon 14-Oct-13 16:05:31

No nuts. I use Waitrose white choc chunks sprinkled over just before cooking as they keep their shape & I always use the Nigella Birthday Brownie recipe. I made some for my Sister's work colleagues for her bday & they were a smash hit. They always are actually, I make them loads.

MrsDoomsPatterson Mon 14-Oct-13 16:06:57

Bear in mind they will continue to cook when you take them out of the oven, so never overlook.

melodyangel Mon 14-Oct-13 16:07:07

Thank you for the reply. The recipe is cocoa powder but is actually more chocolately than I thought it would be, will try it again with chocolate chips too but don't want to veer to far from the recipe that I have found as it is a little unusual already.

MrsDoomsPatterson Mon 14-Oct-13 16:07:24

Or overcook.

MrsDoomsPatterson Mon 14-Oct-13 16:08:33

Sorry, I've just seen you can't change the recipe!

melodyangel Mon 14-Oct-13 16:09:09

MrsDoomsPatterson - I usually make the Nigella ones too.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Oct-13 16:10:34

Virtually raw.
I do luck them with nuts but without is probably safer.
I like them with large chunks of dark chocolate baked in.

MollyRoses Mon 14-Oct-13 21:54:51

No nuts as I'm allergic
Like choc chunks but not too fussed
Squidgy and definitely don't overdo - hate dry brownies

MacaYoniandCheese Mon 14-Oct-13 22:00:46

No nuts (if left to my own devices I would add walnuts liberally, but not for public consumption).

Use a recipe that has real chocolate (I use Callebaut bittersweet chips) and cocoa. Martha Stewart has an excellent recipe in her 'Cookies' book.

The perfect consistency is fudgey. So they should have a dense crumb with sort-of a visibly undercooked layer running through the middle.

Sprinkle chocolate chips through the batter, on top, or both.

I love mine goey, definitely not too cakey. I've been using this recipe for a few years and I've yet to find someone who doesn't like them grin. I don't use the pecans, or any nuts in the mix though.

No nuts.

Chocolate chunks: milk, dark and white.

Yum.

melodyangel Fri 18-Oct-13 15:57:14

Thank you everyone.

I left the nuts out and added chocolate chunks to add a bit of bite.

They all went so I think they were ok.

How do I like my brownies?

Nuts- walnuts and pecans
Cocoa and melted chocolate
Done just enough so they are cooked (Nigella - there's a difference between squidgey and raw )

And most important : at least 24 hours maturing time. It makes all the difference between "quite nice chocolatey nut cake" and "mmmmmm, Brownies"

pixietrixiepanto Sat 26-Oct-13 16:58:45

Ground coffee in mine. Mmmmmm.

And undercooked.

BellaVita Sat 26-Oct-13 17:07:01

Fudgy inside, crispy on top. Chocolate chunks inside.

cjbk1 Sat 26-Oct-13 17:21:52

would someone kindly volunteer a recipe?
I used to use a pampered chef one (uk if relevant) often but lost it and can't find a good one since wink
thanks in advance

BellaVita Sat 26-Oct-13 17:42:57

13oz caster sugar
10oz marg (I use stork)
3oz cocoa powder
4oz self raising flour
4 large eggs
4oz chocolate chunks

Bung everything into a bowl apart from the chocolate chunks. Mix with a hand held mixer or whatever you use. Put the chocolate chunks in. Spoon into a brownie pan or tray bake pan.

Bake at 180 or 160 fan for about 40/45 mins.

cjbk1 Sun 27-Oct-13 07:05:17

thanks bellavita I'll try it wink

Agree, the Nigella one is the best I've tried. I make it loads. Brownies should definitely be very squishy in the middle. An overcooked brownie is chocolate cake, not the same thing at all smile

Google the Nigella one and halve the quantities (hers makes stacks!!). In my oven I cook them for 24 minutes exactly.

www.food.com/recipe/nigella-lawson-brownies-32053

Oh yes, and leave overnight to set before cutting. This makes a huge difference as the brownies continue to cook for quite a while after taking them out of the oven

melodyangel Wed 30-Oct-13 12:43:13

Pictures!

catwithflowers they look super yum.

pudseypie Wed 30-Oct-13 20:41:53

I like mine with sour cherries in as well I got a Jamie Oliver recipe that uses them and they taste amazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now