Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Substituting oil for butter in cake recipe

(14 Posts)
Bunbaker Tue 22-Oct-13 18:47:17

I bake a lot (hence my name grin) and find that block Stork in a wrapper, not the stuff in a tub, is a brilliant dairy free substitute for butter.

You can't do a straight oil for butter swap in a bog standard sponge cake. The results would be disgusting. If you want to use oil it is best to find a recipe that uses oil anyway, like carrot cake for example.

Pancakeflipper Tue 22-Oct-13 18:39:22

I am a Stork in the gold wrapper fan. No one realises our baking is dairyfree as well as delicious.

doormat Tue 22-Oct-13 18:38:54

agree with others about stork...i have a dairy intolerance and used stork in bakingvfor over 30yrs..never had a problem x

tb Tue 22-Oct-13 18:36:44

100g of butter is 80g fat and 20g water.

MrsShrek3 Thu 17-Oct-13 07:31:44

I have dairy free dc
we use vitalite or supermarket own df marg for all our baking. wouldn't say oil was likely to work imho. Very kind to you to be doing it tho smile

PeppiNephrine Tue 15-Oct-13 20:38:23

dairy free Stork is a much better sub for butter than any oil.

ps, eggs are not dairy!

kd73 Tue 15-Oct-13 20:03:30

Vitalite is also dairy free !

mamij Tue 15-Oct-13 19:36:24

Stork (250g) is dairy free, but the 500g one contains buttermilk. I always use Stork as DD is dairy intolerant.

caramelgirl Mon 14-Oct-13 21:43:04

I've had success with Pure brand sunflower spread, sometimes chuck in a mashed banana to give it some oomph but would think it would be bulky enough with coconut already.
Maybe worth a try with pure or oil (I find oil, which I use alot in dairy free baking, does "leak" out of the cake a bit.
<disclaimer, I bake Okay Cakes, slightly worthy ones, not knockout ones>
What's the method btw?

TheNunsOfGavarone Mon 14-Oct-13 21:43:00

Thanks VinegarDrinker I'll check that one out too!

Meanwhile here's the almond/orange cake - I haven't tried it yet but it has lots of good reviews:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2758/spanish-orange-and-almond-cake.aspx?o_is=Hub_TopRecipe_3

VinegarDrinker Mon 14-Oct-13 21:39:20

The BBC Good Food "yummy carrot cake" uses oil and is ridiculously tasty and totally foolproof.

TheNunsOfGavarone Mon 14-Oct-13 21:37:44

Thanks Catsmamma, I googled Ciambellone and found something that looks lovely and which I'll definitely be trying soon!

Another search brought up a Spanish almond and orange cake which was dairy free (apart from eggs which aren't a problem for the people in question!). I had something similar at a dinner party a few months ago and it was gorgeous so I decided to try that and it's just come out of the oven. Fingers crossed it'll taste good and that my dairy-allergic friend will like it too.

I was a Catsmamma too until three weeks ago sad Lost both my darling seniors this summer.

Catsmamma Sun 13-Oct-13 23:59:26

there's plenty of recipes out there that do use oil so I'd have a look for some of those

Gorgeous Chocolate Cake

Google ciambellone too....I think that's what it is called...Italian Lemon Cake, also and oil recipe.

TheNunsOfGavarone Sun 13-Oct-13 23:49:36

Has anyone any tips on how to do this successfully?

I have a couple of friends who are dairy intolerant - well, intolerant of dairy products that come from cows. One of them mentioned that goat butter is rather too strong tasting to substitute for cow butter and suggested oil. However, I gather a direct substitution doesn't necessarily work because of the differences in the chemical make up of butter and oils.

One of the cakes I would like to make is a cow-dairy-free version of is Marian Keyes' fabulous coconut milk cake. The original ingredients list is:

170g butter
300g caster sugar
4 eggs
1tbs vanilla extract
250g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
50g dried shredded coconut
200ml coconut milk.

It would seem sensible to use coconut oil as the butter substitute, but how much? And is it really a sensible idea or does it just sound like one because of the coconut? Would I need to add anything else to compensate for the lack of butter?

I'd be very grateful for some help here. And if it's an awful idea that's never going to work then I'd be grateful (if disappointed!) to know that too.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now