tablet making (confectionery)

(15 Posts)
KCumberSandwich Sun 20-Oct-13 00:00:29

My mum gets my dad to do the beating. and she makes her tablet in the microwave hmm

have never tried with icing sugar but am sure it will taste good whatever form it takes.

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Sat 19-Oct-13 20:38:44

If you want creamy tablet then you need to just make fudge surely?hmm

Donki Sat 19-Oct-13 20:31:29

(Or, to be more exact the recipe in my Gran's "Glasgow Cookery Book")

Donki Sat 19-Oct-13 20:30:15

My tablet recipe involves no beating at all for wonderful crunchy tablet...

tb Sat 19-Oct-13 20:24:16

The crystal size depends on the temperature when you beat it. The hotter the mixture, the bigger the crystals and the 'tabletier' it will be. If you let it cool a little - can't remember the temperature, but have posted about it loads, the crystals are smaller and the set fudge tastes creamier.

Just an illusion, really.

Lilymaid Thu 17-Oct-13 11:38:35

Formidable Edinburgh Granny's Tablet:

450g/1lb granulated sugar
50g/2 oz butter
1 tbs golden syrup
150ml/ 1/4 pint milk or single cream
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Place sugar, butter, syrup and milk/cream in thick based saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring all the time to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil and cook, stirring from time to time. Test for set by placing teaspoon full of mixture into saucer of cold water (should form soft ball) or use thermometer - 118C. (Anyway, you will have noticed a change in colour and a drawing away from the sides of the pan).
Take off heat and put on heat resistant surface. Add essence only when bubbles have subsided. Beat in opposite direction to way you have stirred until the mixture sounds and feels grainy and loses shine.
Pour into greased 18cm square baking pan and leave until firm. Mark out squares when firm and turn out and break into pieces only when cold.

NB this recipe doesn't include condensed milk so probably only produces about half as much tablet at a time as a condensed milk recipe - but it is enough!

450g sugar
1/2 tin condensed milk
1/4pt milk
50g butter

Heat together slowly in a thick-bottomed pan until all the sugar has melted and it is well mixed together.

Then turn up the heat and boil like hell vigorously until "soft ball" stage (drop a blob on to a chilled plate or into cold water and it forms a coherent firm ball rather than staying runny).

There is a colour change to golden brown (from cream/white) shortly before this, and you may also get the odd fleck of brown where it looks like it's burning. That's my cue to test.

Use electric beaters to beat hard until nearly set - this is what gives tablet rather than fudge - and pour/squidge into a lined tin.

I use silicon paper to line because nothing sticks to that.

LadyGoodman Wed 16-Oct-13 18:54:00

Mmm tablet

Def can we have a recipe need to make some now!!

ancientbuchanan Wed 16-Oct-13 18:52:00

Do you have a recipe( Sorry to take over thread) . Lost mine and want some. Now.

I don't think it takes fifteen minutes with electric beaters - but it takes forever with a hand whisk. Don't use a hand whisk <rubs aching wrists in painful memory>

Lilymaid Wed 16-Oct-13 13:53:45

My tablet recipe was passed on to me by a friend's formidable Edinburgh granny. She was adamant that the post cooking beating needed to be done in the opposite direction to the way the tablet had been stirred whilst it was being cooked. I've always done it that way - is it a myth? I don't think it needs 15 minutes beating - just beat until you can feel and hear the graininess of the mixture.

curlycreations Wed 16-Oct-13 13:49:47

thanks for your replies nuns, my family will devour it if it's sweet so may give it try -yes horry i had been told that it's essential to beat for 15 minutesat the last stage and no cheating -but i just thought it would help if i used icing to cut down on that may try at the weekend-as i'v got sewing bug just now gingerbread men!!
thanks

Should be irrelevant because it melts/dissolves during the boiling process.

The final texture is all about the beating, because it affects how the crystals are formed. The longer and more furiously you beat, the crumblier it is.

Blimey I really want some tablet now grin

TheNunsOfGavarone Sun 13-Oct-13 15:30:39

I don't KNOW but I suspect it might turn out creamier. For me that translates as losing its wonderful distinctive texture though.

I love tablet but my attempts at making it have been so hit and miss. Would you mind very much if it didn't work and you (or family) ended up having to throw it away or eat it with spoons out of the pan?

curlycreations Sun 13-Oct-13 12:43:19

does anyone know if it will turn out OK if i use icing sugar rather than granulated, to prevent it being sugery, and may turn out creamier, or is this just wishfull thinking to cut out on the beating?
?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now