Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Freezing homemade cake?

(6 Posts)
krazipan Sat 12-Oct-13 08:34:39

Would freezing homemade cake on the day of baking ruin it?

BellaVita Sat 12-Oct-13 08:36:57

Nope as long as it was uniced etc. I made a chocolate cake during the week and wrapped it in clingfilm and bunged it in the freezer. I was trying to get ahead if myself whilst I had a spare 20 mins.

bakingaddict Sat 12-Oct-13 08:39:23

I have frozen a plain chocolate cake before as I was making one for a friend's 40th birthday and I wanted to spend time on the actual decoration. Just freeze the cake without any buttercream or icing on it and wrap well so you don't get freezer burn. Once it's fully defrosted proceed to filling and decorating

krazipan Sat 12-Oct-13 09:04:23

That's fab, thank you. I'd better get baking!grin

Bunbaker Sat 12-Oct-13 09:06:26

"Nope as long as it was uniced etc."

Nonsense. I freeze cakes all the time. Buttercream iced cakes freeze beautifully. When they are defrosted you can't tell that they have been frozen. If anything the buttercream prevents the cake from drying out.

IcedTeaOneSugar Wed 16-Oct-13 20:59:14

Will a coloured cake freeze OK?

DD wants a rainbow cake for her birthday, the only way I'll manage to get it done will be to bake and freeze the sponges in advance and then construct and ice the cake on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now