Beginners Victoria Sponge question

(11 Posts)
NotBeingRudeBut Thu 10-Oct-13 17:45:09

Please bear with me as I'm a novice at this baking malarkey......

So I think I've mastered a half-decent Victoria Sponge with a jam-only filling, however I want to add a cream filling too!

Where do I start? and what should I avoid?

nannycook Thu 10-Oct-13 18:33:56

Notbeing, why wouldnt you be able to add cream? all you need to do is put the cream on top of the jam and sandwich together.

NotBeingRudeBut Thu 10-Oct-13 18:43:49

Hi Nanny, unfortunately I'm so much of a novice I don't know which cream is best! Double, whipped, etc? Or do I make butter-cream? And if so, how?

YDdraigGoch Thu 10-Oct-13 18:47:27

Either.

You can make butter cream by mixing butter and icing sugar.

You could buy whipped cream

Or you could buy whipping cream or double cream and whip it yourself

Or you could use clotted cream.

Just don't use fluffy cream from a spray can.

NotBeingRudeBut Thu 10-Oct-13 19:01:40

Thank you! I did wonder about squirty cream!!

Completely forgot about clotted cream - think that's the one I'll go for!

Personally I'd use buttercream for a Vicky sponge. However, if (for a more special occasion) you go the fresh strawberries route rather than jam then whipped double cream is the most gorgeous thing in the world ever!

BellaVita Thu 10-Oct-13 19:11:25

Double cream whipped, with a little bit if vanilla extra in and a spoonful of sifted icing sugar.

BoundandRebound Thu 10-Oct-13 19:16:23

Euwww no buttercream in Victoria sponge

If you must add cream then double or whipping, whipped until soft peaks .. Jam first then cream then top layer then sieve a little icing sugar

You could also do cream and strawberries inside but I'd add a little sugar to that (icing sugar - about a tablespoon)

BoundandRebound Thu 10-Oct-13 19:17:30

Clotted cream is wrong too

Sorry

Clotted cream for scones (on top of jam) its a rule!

grin

ghostonthecanvas Thu 10-Oct-13 19:19:45

I added melted white chocolate to buttercream. Make sure sponge completely cold.

TheNunsOfGavarone Fri 11-Oct-13 15:01:15

It's a weird thing but I find double cream whips much much more quickly than whipping cream. Be careful not to overdo it though or it'll get thick and un-useable.

I don't think cakes come much better than fresh Victoria Sponge with cream and raspberry jam - mmmmmmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now