Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Marshmallow

(6 Posts)
zebdee Tue 26-Nov-13 14:07:25

Ok I'm going to attempt the Hugh F-W ones with some peppermint extract for a christmassy taste. How long do they keep for?

horcruxmanzini Sat 19-Oct-13 22:19:56

yes, lots, it's a winner! I use the Hugh F-W recipe on the Guardian website. You can find sugar thermometers in most baking sections, often with all the jam stuff.

One thing I've learned is that you've got to be quite careful pouring the hot sugar syrup onto the gelatine mixture as it really does fizz and splash - if you've got a wide-necked batter jug it's a good idea to put the gelatine in that, then add the sugar syrup, then it's easier to pour down the side of the mixer while you're whisking it into the egg whites. The spout makes it more directional than waving a hot pan full of nuclear syrup around...

I have kenwood reasonable baking skills and I'm sure I could get a thermometer

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Wed 09-Oct-13 15:17:12

Will dig out a recipe later

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Wed 09-Oct-13 15:16:52

Yes, lots of times.

You need a freestanding mixer (kenwood or kitchenaid) a sugar thermometer and fairly sound baking/patisserie skills.

Has any one ever made marshmallow? Any tips or fail safe recipes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now