Need ideas for very simple apple tart/pie, please.

(6 Posts)

For work, my husband must enter an apple bake of some kind into a competition. I have suggested that he buys a ready made tart base, a jar of apple sauce and some glazing jelly and slices apple to make something like a tarte tartin.
Can anyone think of anything really simple and impressive, so that he doesn't look too helpless in front of his adult students? He doesn't have to win, of course, just not look an idiot. Which he did last year.

ediblewoman Tue 08-Oct-13 20:17:07

What about an apple crumble? V v easy and good to eat

Mmmm and easy to make look good ....

Snapespeare Tue 08-Oct-13 20:59:55

Get a sheet of ready made puff pastry. Pop it on some greaseproof paper and cut around a dinner plate to form a circle. Pinch up the edges to make a 'lip'. Spread a jar of apple sauce on this. Peel and slice a lot of apples (preferably not cooking apples) arrange in concentric circles on the base. Sprinkle with liberal amount of brown sugar. Bake at low heat until apples soft/ browned (around 30-40 mins, but do check)

I don't measure or time things when I cook! (Sorry!) smile

Naoko Tue 08-Oct-13 21:04:34

Apple loaf cake

Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Peel, core, quarter then slice 2 large or 3 medium apples. Put the slices in a bowl with two tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of cinnamon, mix well, and set aside for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make cake batter from 200g butter, 200g sugar, 200g flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp vanilla extract and 4 eggs: first, cream the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, then add the flour and baking powder. Whisk the whole lot until smooth and airy.

Pour it into a greased and floured loaf tin and stick the apple slices into it upright in rows. Bake at 160 degrees until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean, likely at least an hour but may well be longer depending on your oven.

...Might need to try both (just for me!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now