Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Red velvet cupcakes

(5 Posts)
bruffin Sat 05-Oct-13 14:52:02

i read that the buttermilk is used to cause a reaction with food colouring to make the deep red colour

PandaNot Sat 05-Oct-13 14:45:08

Yes, buttermilk and cream cheese needed for red velvet cakes. The hummingbird recipe is the best one I've used.

They need cream cheese, that's part of their charm. I use buttermilk and it does seem to alter the consistency of the cakes.

bacon Sat 05-Oct-13 14:38:36

too bland in taste for me they are plain sponge with red food colouring. Buttermilk does give a nice taste to vanilla cakes or just yoghurt.

You can ice them either cream cheese is a better alternative.

Tkmum23 Sat 05-Oct-13 09:11:39

Hi there need a tried and tested recipe for red velvet cupcakes. Some recipes use buttermilk others don't...which is best?

Also should I ice them with cream cheese frosting or buttercream?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now