Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Party cakes

(4 Posts)
Pos1 Thu 03-Oct-13 09:48:51

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a good book (for a beginner) about decorating childrens party cakes. Level wise, I can bake good cakes and decorate nicely with buttercream etc and decoration I buy but want to make something a bit more special - ie ladybird/farm/pony/animal cakes etc

Thanks

dodil Thu 03-Oct-13 14:44:58

Hi, I have a really good book called 'Quick and Clever Party Cakes' by Lindy Smith - £8.60 on Amazon - but I got it at a charity shop for £2. It has twenty different amazing cakes: a ladybird, caterpillar, space monster, a tractor, princess, rabbit, walrus, fish, cat, space shuttle, fighter jet, a party bag, car, shark, strawberry with a face, bee on a daisy, ballet star, a girl skipping, a shape sorter and a smiley face.

Good instructions with step-by-step pictures and recipes for sugarpaste, modelling paste, sugar glue etc. Her designs are all made out of madeira cake for which she also gives the recipe. She has pictures showing where to cut the cake to make the various shapes and how to fix them together.

She also has 'Shortcuts' for each design to make them simpler and quicker e.g. using liquorice for the antennae on the ladybird instead of making them out of modelling paste. The ladybird is quite simple and made in a 1 litre pudding basin.

I noticed she has another book out on amazon with a lovely purple elephant on the front cover!

Pos1 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:31:24

Thanks. I will look at that one today

bacon Sat 05-Oct-13 14:40:47

Debbie Brown has some cracking designs that are simple but not easy. Lindy's also excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now