Christmas Cake alternative?

(6 Posts)
Onykahonie Thu 03-Oct-13 17:27:49

I'm making a stollen and a chocolate yule log this year. Although you can't really fondant ice a yule log, you can decorate with buttercream and it would keep for around a week (not in my house though!)

Some stollens have a roll of marzipan down the middle, but they don't have to.

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Thu 03-Oct-13 09:54:09

Ah no. Stollen has marzipan so that's a no go. Curse allergies!

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Thu 03-Oct-13 09:52:28

Not sure. He doesn't really tell me a lot - he's 3 so the most I get is "it's too spicy" which actually can mean anything from too hot to actually too spicy. Gotta love toddlers grin

Never thought about a stollen cake. Will have a google and see if my skills are up to the task!

Thumbwitch Thu 03-Oct-13 09:06:42

What doesn't he like about it? Is it the density of the fruit, or just the fruit itself?
He might prefer a Stollen style cake, less fruit, slightly more "bready" in texture? Although traditionally it is dusted with icing sugar, I'm sure you could adapt it to be covered in fondant icing smile

Or perhaps a madeira cake? More solid than a sponge, so take more weight in terms of decorating with figures.

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Thu 03-Oct-13 09:02:34

I've made my "proper" Christmas cake for the grownups and it's in the cupboard being fed. However, I also made a test cake to check sizes and whether DS would eat the cake.

As luck would have it - he won't touch it. He'll nibble it a bit, so he won't hate it, but he won't properly eat it (it's a Dundee cake basis, but no nuts).

I'd like to make a different cake that will take fondant icing (so DS can help decorate it with figures) and last in a cake tin for about a week or so. No nuts due to a family member's allergy. Simple and easy would be a great thing too!

Anyone got ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now