Has anyone made a 3D Lightning McQueen cake?

(12 Posts)
hanbee Tue 01-Oct-13 21:31:44

My soon to be 3yo has requested one for his birthday in 2 week time. He's obsessed despite having never seen the Cars films (the power of marketing eh?)

Anyway, no idea where to start, so wanted to ask if anyone has made one ? If so, do you have any recommended online tutorials/instructions that you found really useful?

Thanks

How about a normal cake, decorated to look like a road/race track on top then a lightning McQueen model on the track?

Or A tutorial here cake

I have made a few shaped cakes for my sons and generally bake a cake then try and shape it accordingly. It is much easier to do squarish designs eg fire engine or v simple shapes (omnitrix, ninjago head eg). Unless you are quite artistic I would keep it simple as in track then use a model for the detail if this makes sense.

I just made an awesome 4 ft light sabre cake which was dead easy, could advise you on that!

hanbee Wed 02-Oct-13 08:29:22

Thanks, that's a great cake. love the idea of a light sabre cake, I wouldn't mind one for my birthday! !

I'd love to try a shaped/carved cake as I've never done one before but I'm scared I'll cock it up. I suppose there's always getting one from a supermarket if it's a total disaster!

AlpacaPicnic Wed 02-Oct-13 17:49:10

A light sabre cake? Awesome! Please start a thread about that!

<apologies for hijack>

Firstly you need a long thin cake board, I just used a plank covered with foil.
The light sabre cake bit was made from 4 large shop bought Swiss rolls, the 99 p type.
I then covered one with a light grey icing and added some detail to make it look a bit like Annakins light sabre, this then sits at the end of board. The remaining 3 Swiss rolls were then put on the board and simply covered with blue fondant icing....easy!

aliciagardner Wed 02-Oct-13 19:28:57

Yes, I've made one for my DS (also for his 3rd birthday!). I bought a car shaped cake tin from amazon this one and customised to make it look like lightning McQueen. Not too hard, just did red icing, piped his eyes on, etc. Fairly easy but then it didn't look exactly like lightning McQueen (but close enough for DS!).

chicaguapa Wed 02-Oct-13 19:35:59

If getting the sponge the right shape is bothering you, I've made a cake before with melted marshmallows and rice krispies which is very easy to mold into the shape you want.

chicaguapa Wed 02-Oct-13 19:37:37

Ah! Just looked at the first link. blush

ghostonthecanvas Wed 02-Oct-13 19:38:15

There is a lightning cake in the new disney bakes magazine. One of my boys loves him and was very happy with the asda version

Atavistic Wed 02-Oct-13 19:44:39

Tesco do a 3D lightning macqueen cake for about a tenner. Would that do, or does he insist on home made? <whistles innocently>

hanbee Wed 02-Oct-13 21:54:56

Thanks for all the replies. I'd really like to have a go at making one, he won't care so I'll probably get a supermarket one as back up!!

hanbee Sat 12-Oct-13 14:24:12

It's made to the instructions in the Disney mag. Simple to follow. DS2 is very happy. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now