Making ganache for first time. Tips please.

(8 Posts)
JulieAnderton Tue 01-Oct-13 08:51:49

I'm making this cake for my PIL's wedding anniversary. I've made the cake before (several years ago) and it turned out well. I can't remember how I decorated it last time, but I know I didn't make the ganache.

Anyway, I'd like to do the whole thing this time, but as I'm not a particularly confident cake decorator, I'd like some advice please.

- I've read somewhere that I need to make sure the ganache is cool, but not too cold before spreading it over the cake. Is this correct? How can I tell when it's the right temperature to put over the cake?

- Do I just pour the whole lot over the top of the cake and let it slip down the sides? Or do I put the ganache on a little bit at a time?

- What's the easiest (and safest!) way of transferring the cake to the cake board once decorated?

Thank you!

JulieAnderton Tue 01-Oct-13 16:32:43

Hopeful bump!

Edendance Tue 01-Oct-13 18:53:51

Hello! When I make ganache I always make the one with whipped cream mixed with melted (and cooled) dark chocolate- it makes more of a chocolate mousse.

But! I've taken look at the recipe, I would leave it until it's room temperature. No longer or it will start to set and go to firm. Keep an eye on it anyway, keep stirring it as it cools and if it starts to get thick, think about spreading it in the cake. It's difficult to say exactly but keep an eye on it.

nextphase Tue 01-Oct-13 19:03:04

Yep, allow several hours for it to cool, and keep stirring. It needs to keep its shape when stirred. If it goes too thick, you can always warm it again, so don't worry too much.

I smooth mine on, but have often see it said you should poor on....

Decorate on the cake board, and then clean the board with a damp, clean cloth.

JulieAnderton Tue 01-Oct-13 21:27:54

Thanks for the tips. I'm assuming I don't need to stir constantly as it cools - just every 10-15 mins or so until it's the right consistency?

Getting a bit nervous now. I offered to make a cake, but now worried that I'll mess it up!

nannycook Tue 01-Oct-13 21:43:41

julie, ganache is so easy to make, in fact i have some to make for a cake on fri, i always use the same method which is, a pot of double cream, bring up to boiling point, take off the heat add you good quality dark choc, stir and whisk till nice and glossy, stir now and again till cool then put in the fridge.

VenusDeWillendorf Tue 01-Oct-13 21:46:18

Put your cake in the freezer beforehand for an hour or two and then add ganache at 40 degrees - room temp.
The ganache will be easy to spread on.

cakewitch Wed 02-Oct-13 00:07:57

Put your cake on a wire cooling rack, with a tray onderneath.Make the cake surface smooth, by brushing with boiling apricot jam. allow to cool and set, then pour your ganache all over the cake, completely covering it. then tap the cooling rack down a few times to let the excess ganache drip off the cake. leave in fridge until set, then take off cooling rack, by kind of cutting the cake off, so you get a nice neat edge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now