Buttercream travesty

(36 Posts)

Today I went to a Macmillan coffee morning. It was wonderful, lots of beautiful-looking cakes of all descriptions (tray bakes, cookies, cupcakes, fruit cakes, chocolate cakes, sponge cakes).

DS2 chose an incredibly professional-looking cupcake with beautifully piped buttercream and a very precise fondant daisy thing on it.

He "shared" some with me stuffed it in my face. The buttercream had very obviously been made with Stork angry

Why do people do this? Stork is not equivalent to butter until it's baked into cake.

I can still taste it. Bleuch.

I am ready to change my life! <Rolls up sleeves>

I have been using stork for both. blush

ClaraOswald Sun 29-Sep-13 12:20:58

I use proper butter in the cake batter when I need them to be a bit firmer and it does make them richer as well. I did that when I did the ones for my sisters wedding earlier in the year.

Stork ones end up lighter.

TwoStepsBeyond Sun 29-Sep-13 12:33:27

Delia recommends marg for cakes as butter makes them denser (although they do have a nice buttery taste).

I always use salted butter for icing, unsalted tastes too sweet to me. Its a bit like the whole salted caramel fad that is going on, sweet and salty work well together for me, I find cakes that don't have any salt in them a bit bland and tasteless.

Glad to hear it, Quint. Don't forget to report back.

MrsBucketxx Sun 29-Sep-13 16:07:25

I use stork in my cakes, but for butter cream god no bleugh.

I dan seem to nlend butter buy hand im a bit of a wimp.

mamij Sun 29-Sep-13 19:57:06

I use Stork for both baking and icing as DDs was (DD1) and is (DD2) dairy intolerant. Tbh, I've been doing this for three years now and find the butter icing too buttery!

mazylou Mon 30-Sep-13 12:25:04

Tesco have a deal at the moment for a cottage pie tin (you know those white ones with a blue line on the edge) and two packs of Lurpak slightly salted. Four quid.

I also share your hatred of Stork as "butter" cream icing.

MERLYPUSS Tue 01-Oct-13 11:05:29

My mate used to put stork on her toast shock

Dirty bitch!

JollySallyJeffries Tue 01-Oct-13 16:31:49

These days I tend to replace buttercream toppings and fillings with a nice whipped cream cheese one. You can add vanilla essence etc. to get it tasting how you like, but i think its meant to be a bit of a healthier option (but i sppose it depends on the size of the cake!!!!!)

Bunbaker Tue 01-Oct-13 17:19:10

The problem with Philly cheese is that it needs to be kept in the fridge, and it is too soft and becomes runny once you add icing sugar.

Yes there's a really good Hummingbird chocolate brownie recipe with a chocolate cream cheese frosting. Yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now