Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

No baking powder

(8 Posts)
CitrusSunshine Thu 26-Sep-13 10:41:29

Am making sponge cake (Delia's all-in-one!) and have just realised I've run out of baking powder...can I miss it out? (am fairly useless baker so no idea)

ErrolTheDragon Thu 26-Sep-13 10:44:41

No - if a recipe says baking powder then you need it. Unless the recipe specifies plain flour + bp and you have self raising.

SilverApples Thu 26-Sep-13 10:46:01

Baking powder is the raising agent, so you run the risk of it being a sponge pancake.

Boggler Thu 26-Sep-13 10:47:05

If you don't use baking powder your cake won't rise and will be awful. If you have self raising flour use that instead ( it already has the baking powder in it). grin

CitrusSunshine Thu 26-Sep-13 10:48:33

Thanks for quick responses. Recipe already says SR flour AND baking powder. So off to the shop for some baking powder I think. Thanks again!

shrinkingnora Thu 26-Sep-13 10:50:33

If you've got bicarb and cream of tartar you can make your own.

nextphase Thu 26-Sep-13 10:51:11

SR on its own will be OK.

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Wed 09-Oct-13 15:20:48

For future info, baking powder can be replicated using 2 parts bicarb to 1 part cream of tartar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now