Burnt cake bottoms

(5 Posts)
bacon Sat 28-Sep-13 09:45:57

agree but a new oven should be pretty accurate and if its not then you'll have to send it back. There will have to be an additional 20 degrees plus to burn cakes. You have it on fan assisted you need to turn it down too.

I would def query the quality of the oven for making food bad not really fit for purpose.

I cook a lot of cakes on fan 140.

hermioneweasley Fri 27-Sep-13 22:10:11

Have you ad a chance to try any? Was wondering if anything has helped?

windsweptcoast Mon 23-Sep-13 21:15:08

Thanks, Hermione. I will try both. And get a thermometer. I think the oven may be hotter than I think (the old one was hopelessly insulated, and I got used to it).

hermioneweasley Mon 23-Sep-13 20:44:14

Things to try
- get an oven thermometer and see where the hot spots are in your oven and work around them
- put the cake tins on a metal tray (or two!)

I don't know if it woukd work to put the tins in a VERY shallow Bain Marie - just enough to cover the bottom of the tins, so the rest of the cake bakes? Might be a disaster.

Are you over greasing the tins so that the cakes are frying rather than baking?

Strange that bread is ok - I wonder if your oven is a lot hotter than you think.

windsweptcoast Mon 23-Sep-13 20:39:46

I love baking. But we have a new cooker and every cake I've made has a burnt bottom. The latest is completely inedible. Not just singed. Properly carbonised. I'm not sure if it's the oven, which has a burner down the middle at the bottom (rather than the back), but can't think what else it might be. Slow cooking meat is fine, and bread is a bit dodgy but ok. Cakes, a disaster. Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now