Full proof chocolate icing please

(35 Posts)
sadsong Mon 23-Sep-13 15:49:25

I've tried very hard to get hold of a local cake maker, but no one has got back to me...so In Desperation I'm going to make dhs cake. It's his 40th. Family of 20 popping around Sunday eve for dinner and cake.

I'm an ok cake maker, but need something better than buttercream shock I've tried Grenache but it was far too bitter. It needs to set like cement as its a 2 poss 3 tier cake. Ok ok 2!!! confused

sadsong Tue 01-Oct-13 13:43:56

Nanny cook you are sooo very right! Monday morning it was rock solid grin it was fine just wasn't as thick as I'd have liked for icing. The overall effect was fine and that's what counted in the end.

I'm glad a went for 3 tiers as that worked a treat and looked very impressive.

nannycook Sun 29-Sep-13 18:10:31

sadsong, the only way i know how to make ganache and it was the way i was taught in College is, heat your double cream till nearly boiling point, take off the heat and break your dark choc in and it will become, smooth and glossy, it does take ages to cool i agree, i always make mine a few hrs ahead and cool in the fridge, if your make it right its that stiff you can cut it with a knife the next day.

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 16:11:36

I think I was having a meltdown and gave down it in the wrong order! confused So I couldn't get cream into peaks at all.

Argh I'm too late. Hope it is all going well brew / wine

I use about a pint of cream to a pound of dark chocolate.

Whip cream to stiff peaks.

Melt chocolate until only just melted (ie not hot).

Fold together extremely gently until completely combined.

Sets firm within an hour or so, so you need to sandwich the cake straightaway if you want an easy job.

You can add a slug of booze to the mixture if it's grown ups only. Something like whisky or brandy or maybe Bailey's.

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 14:49:16

Put the icing bowl into a bowl of cold water, or the fridge. Ganache always takes ages to set - I don't understand those that say cool 10 mins and pour over. It all runs off my cakes.

How much cream into how much, of what type of, chocolate?

TwoStepsBeyond Sun 29-Sep-13 14:35:48

Sadsong I'm sure it will thicken as it cools, don't panic!

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 14:27:50

Cakes are absolutely fine, stacked brilliantly! It's the flaming icing. I must have done something wrong, it's just not thick enough. I have melted chocolate, cream, golden caster, it's far too runny.

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 14:22:30

2kids tghats amazing!

sadsong whats happened? I'm sure its going to taste amazing. Will it not stack? Sunk cakes can be rescued by filling the crater with malteesers for that soggy/crunchy texture comparisons. Not sure how you then stack!

2kidsintow Sun 29-Sep-13 14:13:59

Hope it went OK sadsong!

2kidsintow Sun 29-Sep-13 14:12:33

I made this Chocolate cake for a friend's wedding. It was using Mary Berry's chocolate tray bake and her chocolate fudge icing.

Fudge icing
* 60g butter
* 30g cocoa powder
* 3 tbsp milk
* 250g icing sugar, sifted

Melt butter. Add cocoa. Keep on heat and stir for a minute (but don't burn!) then remove from the heat and beat in the milk and the icing sugar.

You have to put it on while it's still warm before it sets. But it's easy to work with and looks lovely.

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 13:57:34

I think it's failed shock

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 11:03:19

The cakes are baked! Hooray! Attempting 10, 8, 6, but although there's a lot of us it's only family, so if it goes wrong it's not the end of the world! I had a small nervous breakdown at dh at 9.30 when he was still in bed, however I think he does appreciate it. He has said we can cancel but I'd never forgive myself, so on with the show.

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 10:32:32

Hope I'm not too late!
This suggests 2-3" difference.

So, 10", 8"?
You going for 2 layers?

What about 8,6,4?

Hope all goes well, and you recover after all this is over. What frosting you doing after extensive testing?

Happy Birthday Mr Sadsong. Hope you realise what your lovely wife is doing for youl

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 09:03:53

What looks best on a 10"? A 6" or an 8" round?

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 08:59:47

Today's the day of the party, I'm catering for 21. Im feeling really ill today. hmm I'm 8 wks post surgery, thought I was mainly in the mend but the last few days have been too much and I'm on my 3rd birthday, this being the largest within 10 days. I may throw the cake out the window shortly! Guests arriving at. 4pm.

tb Thu 26-Sep-13 17:02:44

Chocolate and butter in the proportions of 150g plain choc and 65g butter. Melt together and allow to cool. Then beat with a balloon whisk until the mixture becomes the colour of milk chocolate. Trowel/pipe with broad nozzle on to the cake. It ends up like a frosting.

If it's not whipped, it can be just cooled a little and then poured over the cake.

gybegirl Mon 23-Sep-13 20:36:53

175g dark choc (70%)
250g butter
275g icing sugar (sifted)
1tbspn vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar. Melt choc in a bowl over simmering water. Add when cooled slightly and add in vanilla.

Eat cake, lick bowl, lick beaters, lick knife youve spread it over cake with, lick work surface in case you have dropped any there. Watch small children collect mirror so they can try and lick the icing mess off their faces.

Sigh a happy sigh.

Thanks Nigella!

FriskyHenderson Mon 23-Sep-13 20:29:59

Mary Berry Sunday Best chocolate fudge cake. Every time.

nextphase Mon 23-Sep-13 20:23:34

DOH, need [[ ]] round my stuff in blue above....

nextphase Mon 23-Sep-13 20:23:06

this one caught my eye

You can just paste the web address if you want, but to get really posh put address (space) witty describing comment - better explanation below if your on a computer.

NanaNina Mon 23-Sep-13 19:56:21

That cake does look lovely - but what is buttermilk? AND how do you do those clever links - or maybe you should pass on that as I am very limited where IT is concerned!

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 23-Sep-13 19:44:02

What about this cake? You could make two so there is plenty for all your guests. It really is superb.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

sadsong Mon 23-Sep-13 19:37:52

Ok I'm getting carried away now! Maybe I shall have 3 tiers after all and try all your your lovely suggestions as a contrast! This is my 3rd bday within a week shock

Damnautocorrect Mon 23-Sep-13 19:26:38

200ml cream 600g white choc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now