Full proof chocolate icing please

(35 Posts)
sadsong Mon 23-Sep-13 15:49:25

I've tried very hard to get hold of a local cake maker, but no one has got back to me...so In Desperation I'm going to make dhs cake. It's his 40th. Family of 20 popping around Sunday eve for dinner and cake.

I'm an ok cake maker, but need something better than buttercream shock I've tried Grenache but it was far too bitter. It needs to set like cement as its a 2 poss 3 tier cake. Ok ok 2!!! confused

2kidsintow Sun 29-Sep-13 14:13:59

Hope it went OK sadsong!

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 14:22:30

2kids tghats amazing!

sadsong whats happened? I'm sure its going to taste amazing. Will it not stack? Sunk cakes can be rescued by filling the crater with malteesers for that soggy/crunchy texture comparisons. Not sure how you then stack!

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 14:27:50

Cakes are absolutely fine, stacked brilliantly! It's the flaming icing. I must have done something wrong, it's just not thick enough. I have melted chocolate, cream, golden caster, it's far too runny.

TwoStepsBeyond Sun 29-Sep-13 14:35:48

Sadsong I'm sure it will thicken as it cools, don't panic!

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 14:49:16

Put the icing bowl into a bowl of cold water, or the fridge. Ganache always takes ages to set - I don't understand those that say cool 10 mins and pour over. It all runs off my cakes.

How much cream into how much, of what type of, chocolate?

I use about a pint of cream to a pound of dark chocolate.

Whip cream to stiff peaks.

Melt chocolate until only just melted (ie not hot).

Fold together extremely gently until completely combined.

Sets firm within an hour or so, so you need to sandwich the cake straightaway if you want an easy job.

You can add a slug of booze to the mixture if it's grown ups only. Something like whisky or brandy or maybe Bailey's.

Argh I'm too late. Hope it is all going well brew / wine

sadsong Sun 29-Sep-13 16:11:36

I think I was having a meltdown and gave down it in the wrong order! confused So I couldn't get cream into peaks at all.

nannycook Sun 29-Sep-13 18:10:31

sadsong, the only way i know how to make ganache and it was the way i was taught in College is, heat your double cream till nearly boiling point, take off the heat and break your dark choc in and it will become, smooth and glossy, it does take ages to cool i agree, i always make mine a few hrs ahead and cool in the fridge, if your make it right its that stiff you can cut it with a knife the next day.

sadsong Tue 01-Oct-13 13:43:56

Nanny cook you are sooo very right! Monday morning it was rock solid grin it was fine just wasn't as thick as I'd have liked for icing. The overall effect was fine and that's what counted in the end.

I'm glad a went for 3 tiers as that worked a treat and looked very impressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now