Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Fairy cakes separating from paper cases

(7 Posts)
mejon Fri 20-Sep-13 16:29:31

I've just made a batch of fairy cakes for a pre-school event tomorrow. As I usually make ones that are far too big and overflow the case (unintentionally), I only put a tiny bit of mixture in each case. I now have two dozen tiny cakes and nearly all of them are separating from the paper case. Is this because the cake is too small (some are less than an inch high) or have I done something else wrong? I'm planning on putting some basic icing and hundreds & thousands on them so does it really matter or will I have to make another batch in the morning (and have to eat the rest wink)?

MikeLitoris Argentina Fri 20-Sep-13 19:20:34

What cases are you using?

I stick to muffin cases (lakelands are good) and use an.ice cream scoop to put one dollop in each case.

Always come out perfect.

mejon Fri 20-Sep-13 20:03:23

I'm using some Morrisons own brand ones. I've decided to make some more - most of the ones the family have 'tested' this afternoon are barely a couple of centimetres thick and more like biscuits than cakes! I'll put a bigger dollop in like I normally do.

Your cupcake cup should be no more than 2/3 full. Leave them to cool for a couple of minute in the tin then take them out to cool on a rack.

Littlefish Fri 20-Sep-13 20:08:38

sainsburys cases are rubbish. I use ones from Purple cupcakes and they are great. Blueberry is right, you need to take them out of the tin pretty smartish and put them on a cooling tray.

mejon Fri 20-Sep-13 21:48:45

Thanks. I've never had a problem with the cases before - I guess it's just because there's not enough cake in them. I was taking them out pretty swiftly as I needed the tin to bake some more. The ones I made in bigger muffin type cases are ok as I put more mixture in them. Who'd have thought the simplest of simple cakes could cause me such grief grin.

MollyBerry Fri 20-Sep-13 23:18:00

This sometimes happens to me when the mix is just slightly too dry. They aren't so dry they taste like risks but it is obviously enough to make them peel from the cases

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now