Caker decorators! Maureen needs your help!!

(38 Posts)
MaureenMLove Sun 15-Sep-13 22:08:29

The 17 years of making birthday cakes for DD have taken their toll and the umpteen 'you decide on a theme, it'll be lovely anyway' requests have zapped my imagination. All this just 3 short weeks from DD's 18th birthday!

I've made 4 cakes in the last 3 weeks, one fruit cake is being fed, ready for icing for DD's pre-birthday weekend away with DH, I'm holding a MacMillan Coffee Morning on 28th, which will require more imagination and I'm stuck!

What the hell sort of official cake am I going to create? Ever wish you hadn't made such an effort and gone to Asda for the caterpillar cake all those years ago? grin

So, inspire me, with your 18th birthday creations please!

grin Large parcel perhaps, 8 cm you said?

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 22:06:20

No problem Quint. Do you think it'll go as small or large parcel? Don't want you to have to pick up the excess postage cost!

Yes, please post me the pew....

I would quite like an 8ft pew, but I don't think from memory that you live anywhere close.

Mike - I have been re-marzippanning the last tier of their wedding cake, except it was really shallow so I had to make it a step up stool (half a cake dummy sandwiched between cake boards with royal icing mortar) and them cover the whole lot in marzipan.

I now (well, tomorrow) need to make 2 small girls and an angel, and lots of leaves and blossom, then a sponge tier, then ice the whole lot, then decide if I am painting it or piping onto it.

Shark cake - if it's the one that I have in some book or other there is hardly any cake in it - I always thought you would have to make a separate "sea" cake to go under it.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:26

Thank you for your input lovely ladies! smile Sorry I've been away, had to do Guiding/church duties! (Anyone want an 8 foot pew? The church is selling them off! grin)

I think it's going to be sweet related in some way. I will be back with a result in a couple of weeks! Dive cake first. That'll be done by mid week next week, then coffee morning cakes, THEN dd birthday cake. Might slip in a couple of hours sleep here and there too if I'm lucky! grin

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:14

Nice one Quint.

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:44:11

Ooooo just a thought mo, what about "a shoe" a nice sparkly one fit for an 18 yr. Good idea or what?

Make her a Ferrari cake. And pipe in red icing:
"Only the best is good enough for my girl, so ensure you work hard enough to achieve it."

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:41:16

I have to make a shark cake for a 10 yr old this thurs, not sure about it tho.

Shosha1 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:16:05

Mo sent you a pin on Pinterest smile

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 21:01:44

What you making? I've just finished a castle cake. Im now bored.

Gerroff - she's mine grin. And I need to get off MN and go and make some progress on her DDs' christening cake.

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 20:41:06

envy I need friends like that.

Yes, those are the ones I have. Lovely lovely friend bought me all 3 sizes for my birthday grin

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:57:29

The lakeland ones are om my Christmas list. Are they the ones you have stealth?

I love their tins.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:48:45

Didn't know you could buy topsy turvy tins! I usually do it myself and have scraps of cake with my cup of tea! grin Off to google I think!

I might well be doing diver cake mark II in a few weeks - DS's birthday. He did his PADI Open Water this summer, and had his dive computer as (very early) birthday pressie, so I will need to remind him. I was given a set of topsy turvy tins for my birthday, so I could use those. I have only used one at a time so far.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:29:21

This is the start of the last diver cake. This time I'm doing two divers on top. One in pink and one in blue, as her dive buddy is 18 too, so it's a joint cake. Gonna do seals around the bottom too.

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:29:06

I've been asked to do that sweetie one. Not done wonky before though.

I've done a diving cake (for DH)

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:16:17

I'm liking the sweets idea. Thanks Mike. I have got this one to do for someone in November, so I could mix it all up a bit and create a sweet cake for her.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:12:47

She's had handbags, box of chocolates, make up bag, shopping bags, Forever Friends sofa, complete with teddys, 3 tier, 3 tier, everything! And it all started on her first birthday with the good old fashioned hedgehog cake! grin

I rather like the Smarties though. Very cool indeed.

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:12:00

Filled with smarties instead of malteaser if you want colourful.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:10:05

Yeah, the dive cake is in the making. That's for next weekend, when she and DH go off to dive with the seals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now