Caker decorators! Maureen needs your help!!

(38 Posts)
MaureenMLove Sun 15-Sep-13 22:08:29

The 17 years of making birthday cakes for DD have taken their toll and the umpteen 'you decide on a theme, it'll be lovely anyway' requests have zapped my imagination. All this just 3 short weeks from DD's 18th birthday!

I've made 4 cakes in the last 3 weeks, one fruit cake is being fed, ready for icing for DD's pre-birthday weekend away with DH, I'm holding a MacMillan Coffee Morning on 28th, which will require more imagination and I'm stuck!

What the hell sort of official cake am I going to create? Ever wish you hadn't made such an effort and gone to Asda for the caterpillar cake all those years ago? grin

So, inspire me, with your 18th birthday creations please!

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 20:41:06

envy I need friends like that.

Gerroff - she's mine grin. And I need to get off MN and go and make some progress on her DDs' christening cake.

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 21:01:44

What you making? I've just finished a castle cake. Im now bored.

Shosha1 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:16:05

Mo sent you a pin on Pinterest smile

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:41:16

I have to make a shark cake for a 10 yr old this thurs, not sure about it tho.

Make her a Ferrari cake. And pipe in red icing:
"Only the best is good enough for my girl, so ensure you work hard enough to achieve it."

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:44:11

Ooooo just a thought mo, what about "a shoe" a nice sparkly one fit for an 18 yr. Good idea or what?

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:14

Nice one Quint.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:26

Thank you for your input lovely ladies! smile Sorry I've been away, had to do Guiding/church duties! (Anyone want an 8 foot pew? The church is selling them off! grin)

I think it's going to be sweet related in some way. I will be back with a result in a couple of weeks! Dive cake first. That'll be done by mid week next week, then coffee morning cakes, THEN dd birthday cake. Might slip in a couple of hours sleep here and there too if I'm lucky! grin

I would quite like an 8ft pew, but I don't think from memory that you live anywhere close.

Mike - I have been re-marzippanning the last tier of their wedding cake, except it was really shallow so I had to make it a step up stool (half a cake dummy sandwiched between cake boards with royal icing mortar) and them cover the whole lot in marzipan.

I now (well, tomorrow) need to make 2 small girls and an angel, and lots of leaves and blossom, then a sponge tier, then ice the whole lot, then decide if I am painting it or piping onto it.

Shark cake - if it's the one that I have in some book or other there is hardly any cake in it - I always thought you would have to make a separate "sea" cake to go under it.

Yes, please post me the pew....

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 22:06:20

No problem Quint. Do you think it'll go as small or large parcel? Don't want you to have to pick up the excess postage cost!

grin Large parcel perhaps, 8 cm you said?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now