Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Caker decorators! Maureen needs your help!!

(38 Posts)
MaureenMLove Sun 15-Sep-13 22:08:29

The 17 years of making birthday cakes for DD have taken their toll and the umpteen 'you decide on a theme, it'll be lovely anyway' requests have zapped my imagination. All this just 3 short weeks from DD's 18th birthday!

I've made 4 cakes in the last 3 weeks, one fruit cake is being fed, ready for icing for DD's pre-birthday weekend away with DH, I'm holding a MacMillan Coffee Morning on 28th, which will require more imagination and I'm stuck!

What the hell sort of official cake am I going to create? Ever wish you hadn't made such an effort and gone to Asda for the caterpillar cake all those years ago? grin

So, inspire me, with your 18th birthday creations please!

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 09:00:06

Well maureen i'm stuck with ideas for the 18th cake, but we're also holding a coffee morning in work and i will be making lime cupcakes with a two tone buttercream in the same colour as Macmillan logo, well thats the plane anyhow.

Also i make a fab tiffin slab which goes down a storm with my colleagues, a fab blueberry and apple cake.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 11:22:01

Oh, lime flavours for the green colour! Brilliant. Will be stealing that!

Still stumped on cake for DD!

nannycook Mon 16-Sep-13 14:14:00

Well what about a handbag or make up bag and accessories? Or a Kath Kidson type theme and colouring, i know my own dd loves that but she's 31. I did her cake this yr as a rosette cake, pic on my profile if your looking for anything like that.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:00:31

Gorgeous cakes Nanny! Really lovely. Still not entirely sure. I just want something special for my only little girl! She's had handbags and makeup bags. I've got until this weekend to make a decision, so it's not too late yet!

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:06:04

Not many lovely. Just immediate family, so 12 at the most. smile

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:07:22

I have no idea what that is and I don't think she's been to the pictures for ages! Beautiful cake though. One of yours?

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:08:25

I love the minion! I've got minion on my list of cakes to make.

What have you made her in the past Mo?

No, none of them are mine (although I would like to do Despicable Me sometime)

Trying to think if I have done any which would apply - not really. She dives, doesn't she - but you did that already?

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:09:01

OMG!!! That is very possibly it! Very, very easy too! winkgrin

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:10:05

Yeah, the dive cake is in the making. That's for next weekend, when she and DH go off to dive with the seals!

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:12:00

Filled with smarties instead of malteaser if you want colourful.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:12:47

She's had handbags, box of chocolates, make up bag, shopping bags, Forever Friends sofa, complete with teddys, 3 tier, 3 tier, everything! And it all started on her first birthday with the good old fashioned hedgehog cake! grin

I rather like the Smarties though. Very cool indeed.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:16:17

I'm liking the sweets idea. Thanks Mike. I have got this one to do for someone in November, so I could mix it all up a bit and create a sweet cake for her.

I've done a diving cake (for DH)

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:29:06

I've been asked to do that sweetie one. Not done wonky before though.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:29:21

This is the start of the last diver cake. This time I'm doing two divers on top. One in pink and one in blue, as her dive buddy is 18 too, so it's a joint cake. Gonna do seals around the bottom too.

I might well be doing diver cake mark II in a few weeks - DS's birthday. He did his PADI Open Water this summer, and had his dive computer as (very early) birthday pressie, so I will need to remind him. I was given a set of topsy turvy tins for my birthday, so I could use those. I have only used one at a time so far.

MaureenMLove Mon 16-Sep-13 19:48:45

Didn't know you could buy topsy turvy tins! I usually do it myself and have scraps of cake with my cup of tea! grin Off to google I think!

MikeLitoris Mon 16-Sep-13 19:57:29

The lakeland ones are om my Christmas list. Are they the ones you have stealth?

I love their tins.

Yes, those are the ones I have. Lovely lovely friend bought me all 3 sizes for my birthday grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now