Storing Victoria sponge URGenT help required!!!!

(29 Posts)

HelP!

Have just made my first ever Victoria sponge, looks uite good, put freshly whipped double cream in it.

Just iced it - again, first attempt, looks quite good. NOW what do I do with it. The cream will have been out for hours, the icing can't go in the fridge, right? Am i doomed to a sticky, gone-off mess tomorrow?

nannycook Sun 15-Sep-13 21:08:07

And me, well no i dont have a 2yr old, but i'm old with a full time job and a very active 4yr old grandson, who recently started school, i make all my cakes at night and work well into the night to finish them, i have no money cos i cant keep away from the cake dec shop, but hey oh i'm happy.

MikeLitoris Sun 15-Sep-13 19:43:47

I have a 2yo and regularly have to make cakes with her dangling off my neck! Not sure I would be sane with 2 2yo's.

Spare time and money? Ha ha ha ha ha. I did mention the 2yo twins, right? wink

MikeLitoris Sun 15-Sep-13 19:12:52

Thats it twelve. Say good bye to any spare time and money you have.

Your weekends will be spent up to your elbows in fondant grin

nannycook Sun 15-Sep-13 17:37:35

Think you should, you've obiviously got the bug now.

We're going to a house party thing next weekend. I have an urge to bake (and badly decorate) something!

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 14-Sep-13 21:41:23

Cool cake!!!

hugoagogo Sat 14-Sep-13 20:03:15

Oh now I have guilt blush

I'm pleased to have surpassed your lowly expectations!

(Can't have been much lowlier than mine!)

MikeLitoris Sat 14-Sep-13 18:50:43

Looks great twelve. Was there any criticism from MIL?

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 18:29:38

Twelve, you should be pleased ,thats very good.

I have a shark cake to make next week, thats a challenge for me.

hugoagogo Sat 14-Sep-13 18:18:52

Wow I had low expectations for your cake; but it looks fab! grin

<runs away scared>

Should be a pic on my profile <runs away scared!>

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 16:33:31

Thats why we like coming on here for help and advice! God knows i need some from time to time too. Hope the party goes well for you, we want pics dont forget.

MikeLitoris Sat 14-Sep-13 12:38:41

We cakey people are a scary bunch grin

I know what I did wrong!!! Crikey, the baking forum is scarier than The Doghouse, who knew?! grin

Anyhow, we have a bloody massive fridge and seem to have got away with it, no condensation and icing looks fine, so as long as the cake isn't too dry we should be fine for Caterpillar Birthday Tea.

I also now have icing in every colour known to man, so am going to have to practice by doing some more!

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 09:54:14

Twelve, i'm afraid Mike's right if you'd used buttercream instead it would'av lasted for a few days without it going in the fridge.

Granny M? Is that you?

MikeLitoris Sat 14-Sep-13 00:23:15

Should have used buttercream rather than fresh cream.

It's a kids birthday cake.

I wouldn't normally ice bloody anything.

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 14-Sep-13 00:11:02

I wouldn't normally ice a Victoria sandwich. Just dust the too with caster or icing sugar.

Ha ha vajazzler.

It's my dts 2nd birthday tomorrow, and for some reason I took it into my head to make a Very Hungry Caterpillar cake.

I am not making another set of caterpillar feet tomorrow morning, no way!

My MIL will Make The Point about what I did wrong.

I may have to drink. Wine makes smudgey cakes better, right?

Vajazzler Fri 13-Sep-13 23:54:59

The best course of action is to eat it. Then tomorrow you can make a new one. If you can't manage the eating job on your own I'm happy to lend a hand. cake grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now