Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Storing Victoria sponge URGenT help required!!!!

(29 Posts)

HelP!

Have just made my first ever Victoria sponge, looks uite good, put freshly whipped double cream in it.

Just iced it - again, first attempt, looks quite good. NOW what do I do with it. The cream will have been out for hours, the icing can't go in the fridge, right? Am i doomed to a sticky, gone-off mess tomorrow?

ItsaTIARA Fri 13-Sep-13 23:24:32

Fridge it, obviously. Better a slightly iffy icing job than mass food poisoning.

You're right. I might cry. It looks so much better than I expected and tomorrow it will look like a drunk tombleboo rampaged across it.

ItsaTIARA Fri 13-Sep-13 23:46:49

But it will taste delicious. And nobody will die.

Vajazzler Fri 13-Sep-13 23:54:59

The best course of action is to eat it. Then tomorrow you can make a new one. If you can't manage the eating job on your own I'm happy to lend a hand. cake grin

My MIL will Make The Point about what I did wrong.

I may have to drink. Wine makes smudgey cakes better, right?

Ha ha vajazzler.

It's my dts 2nd birthday tomorrow, and for some reason I took it into my head to make a Very Hungry Caterpillar cake.

I am not making another set of caterpillar feet tomorrow morning, no way!

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 14-Sep-13 00:11:02

I wouldn't normally ice a Victoria sandwich. Just dust the too with caster or icing sugar.

It's a kids birthday cake.

I wouldn't normally ice bloody anything.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 14-Sep-13 00:23:15

Should have used buttercream rather than fresh cream.

Granny M? Is that you?

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 09:54:14

Twelve, i'm afraid Mike's right if you'd used buttercream instead it would'av lasted for a few days without it going in the fridge.

I know what I did wrong!!! Crikey, the baking forum is scarier than The Doghouse, who knew?! grin

Anyhow, we have a bloody massive fridge and seem to have got away with it, no condensation and icing looks fine, so as long as the cake isn't too dry we should be fine for Caterpillar Birthday Tea.

I also now have icing in every colour known to man, so am going to have to practice by doing some more!

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 14-Sep-13 12:38:41

We cakey people are a scary bunch grin

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 16:33:31

Thats why we like coming on here for help and advice! God knows i need some from time to time too. Hope the party goes well for you, we want pics dont forget.

Should be a pic on my profile <runs away scared!>

<runs away scared>

hugoagogo Sat 14-Sep-13 18:18:52

Wow I had low expectations for your cake; but it looks fab! grin

nannycook Sat 14-Sep-13 18:29:38

Twelve, you should be pleased ,thats very good.

I have a shark cake to make next week, thats a challenge for me.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 14-Sep-13 18:50:43

Looks great twelve. Was there any criticism from MIL?

I'm pleased to have surpassed your lowly expectations!

(Can't have been much lowlier than mine!)

hugoagogo Sat 14-Sep-13 20:03:15

Oh now I have guilt blush

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 14-Sep-13 21:41:23

Cool cake!!!

We're going to a house party thing next weekend. I have an urge to bake (and badly decorate) something!

nannycook Sun 15-Sep-13 17:37:35

Think you should, you've obiviously got the bug now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now