Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

How should I decorate the cake for DD's christening?

(13 Posts)
glorious Tue 10-Sep-13 17:34:12

I'm not all that traditional normally but for some reason I feel compelled to make a fruit cake for DD's christening. I will ice it in white and I don't want any pink on it.

What would you do?

Given that many people don't like fruit cake I'll also do a couple of other options. Any suggestions for those? Need to be easy as we'll be jet lagged when I need to bake!

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 10-Sep-13 22:51:14

If it was my own cake I would do dd's name in building blocks. I will find the pic that I saw recently. I love it.

Probably wouldn't work with fruit cake but you could do a fruit cake, ice it and then maybe to some blocks in fondant. One for each letter of her name. They could be made in advance if needed.

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 10-Sep-13 22:52:37

No idea who made this cake btw. Found it on Google.

glorious Wed 11-Sep-13 07:22:50

Thanks mike that's a good idea (and her name's only 5 letters so not too time consuming). If I just used fondant would I need to judge the blocks and letters by hand or is there some cunning device? I'm guessing not beyond a ruler!

MikeLitoris Argentina Wed 11-Sep-13 07:51:49

When I've made blocks before I used two cake smothers. Think they cost a few £ each from amazon.

glorious Wed 11-Sep-13 09:11:55

Great I'll get some. I could spend quite a lot on gadgets and still save money compared to buying the cake smile

MikeLitoris Argentina Wed 11-Sep-13 12:31:46

Be careful. I'm slightly addicted to buying cake stuff, it started with a silicone rolling pin and I now have a cupboard full of stuff.

MikeLitoris Argentina Wed 11-Sep-13 12:32:06

Be careful. I'm slightly addicted to buying cake stuff, it started with a silicone rolling pin and I now have a cupboard full of stuff.

glorious Wed 11-Sep-13 14:17:43

Yes it's dangerous isn't it. I already have two baking cupboards blush just don't normally do formal icing except for the Christmas cake so I've avoided that side of things so far...

glorious Tue 22-Oct-13 10:49:41

Just wanted to say thanks mike , I did it and it looked great smile thanks

smile any pictures?

glorious Tue 22-Oct-13 19:01:10

I'll see if I can find one. My dad has all the photos so ir may take me a while...

glorious Fri 08-Nov-13 11:26:17

Only got one after it was cut! Plus DH ended up arranging the blocks (long story)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now