Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Christmas cake

(10 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Mon 09-Sep-13 21:28:40

this year I am determined to be organised and make some Christmas cakes. I would like to make a few and give as gifts.
Never baked one before so I googled and found Mary Berrys which looks yum.
any othef receipes that you swear by or other top tips? smile smile

Delia's is good but IMO Mary Berry's is better.

sophiedaal Tue 10-Sep-13 14:09:53

Soak the dried fruit first in whiskey/brandy, they then don't leech moisture from the cake as they rehydrate. I have a huge Tupperware of sultanas/raisins/cherries, etc, on the go for at least a week before I make the cake. Smells amazing...

nearlyreadytopop Tue 10-Sep-13 14:44:23

thats just what I needed to know! Mary Berry's receipe and fruit soaking.
when do u usually make yours?

I usually make mine in October half term so DC can help stir.

yy to soaking fruit in much brandy.

sophiedaal Tue 10-Sep-13 17:22:45

I often make them for friends/family and usually bake a couple in square tins, then cut them into two loaf-shaped cakes. The advantage of doing it this way, for me, is that my mind's put at rest that they've been cooked through (paranoia), the recipients get 50% more icing/marzipan to fruit cake ratio, and the whole thing tends to get eaten up more quickly, as it's easier to slice thin portions than to hack away manfully at The Cake That Never Ends.

DragonsAreReal Tue 10-Sep-13 17:25:05

Make a jamaican black christmas cake! Really so much nicer no burnt fruit as you blend the fruit, and rum and port work better IMHO. It tastes more like christmas pudding then cake but cakey texture iykwim.

574ejones Sun 15-Sep-13 19:27:58

I have made a Nigella one before, which includes using marmalade. The more you feed it (with sherry, brandy etc. after its cooked, the better it will taste! I wrap the outside of the tin in brown paper - I don't know why, it was always something my mum did!!

LJL69 Mon 16-Sep-13 17:44:11

I soak in morgans spiced rum and brandy and also feed it regularly while storing

bacon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:17:22

Delia for me but I change it a little - omit currants for def and change the booze to suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now