Baking for a cake sale

(24 Posts)
Greenandcabbagelooking Sat 07-Sep-13 14:54:52

Making baked goods for a cake sale to fundraise and not sure what to make. Organiser is happy for me to make whatever I like. So, what are your best-selling items for a sale? Target markets are adults. If you are a customer, what would you like to buy?

I am a reasonable good baker, have lots of time, sale is on Wednesday. But low-cost is good to maximise profit!

Mollydoggerson Sat 07-Sep-13 14:57:21

ginger bread men.
mars bar squares
wookie-cookies

Accidentallyquirky Sat 07-Sep-13 14:59:11

Shortbread

GoofyIsACow Sat 07-Sep-13 15:03:51

Fresh crusty bread rolls... <drool>

IJustNeedANap Sat 07-Sep-13 15:27:19

Cherry bake well cake, it's easy to make and you can stack it quite high and charge a good price so a big tall slice

IslaValargeone Sat 07-Sep-13 15:29:20

lemon drizzle
millionaire's shortbread
I'm not sure gingerbread men are for an adult market?

TeamEdward Sat 07-Sep-13 15:30:30

Flapjacks
Even adults like chocolate crispy cakes.

Cheese straws and scones, sell them for lunch boxes.

dufflefluffle Sat 07-Sep-13 15:37:53

Highly decorative but simply flavoured victoria sponges seem to be a hot favourite at fundraisers I've been involved with. (think using a doily and dust icing sugar over the top type of idea)

DoItTooJulia Sat 07-Sep-13 15:39:50

Chocolate eclairs are easy enough and great for adults.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 07-Sep-13 15:44:01

Carrot cake
Small whole cakes to take home or cupcakes/portions to eat at the time.
Good bread - loaves or rolls.
Chocolate chip cookies
Oat & raisin cookies

crikeybadger Sat 07-Sep-13 15:44:16

Lemon drizzle, macaroons, flapjack, coffee and walnut cake, mini Victoria sandwiches. Well that's what I would buy anyway.smile

Greenandcabbagelooking Sat 07-Sep-13 18:47:16

Some lovely ideas, thanks everyone.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 07-Sep-13 18:50:09

Chocolate brownies (or even chocolate and beetroot)

Lemon drizzle

Millionaire shortbread

Carrot cake

Florentines

Scones (if they are to be consumed immediately and you can serve with jam and cream)

LoganMummy Sat 07-Sep-13 18:50:46

For some reason Red Velvet cupcakes always do really well.

kilmuir Sat 07-Sep-13 18:52:49

coffee and walnut for me every time. yummy

Badvoc Sat 07-Sep-13 18:55:42

Flapjacks
Cupcakes with loads of frosting on
Scones - square ones so you don't waste any dough!

sharond101 Sat 07-Sep-13 22:13:55

The quickest movers at our bake sale was mini quiches and family sized freezable puddings (sticky toffee and upside down apple sponge).

Badvoc Sun 08-Sep-13 12:38:51

Yes, crumbles are always good.
And Victoria sponges

Banana loaf (sliced) with a thick and heavy cream cheese frosting. Om nom nom.

Or just a light lemon drizzle with icing sugar sprinkled (will be cheaper)

Takver Sun 08-Sep-13 12:45:16

Round here made up packs of 5 or 6 scotch pancakes seem to sell out quickly, good as they're so cheap to make.

Bara brith & Welsh cakes also very good sellers but that might be a local thing! (BB also pricey to make because of the dried fruit)

tb Wed 18-Sep-13 15:02:11

I did
Ginger biscuits
Lemon drizzle
Ginger cake
Millionaire's shortbread
Malteser fridge cake - sort of choc/syrup/butter/digestive base, dotted maltesers and walnut pieces alternately and then covered in white/dark and milk choc.

The malteser stuff was in fingers, the millionaire's stuff was in pieces about 10 x 15 cm, as sometimes the base breaks.

Was at a small local car boot sale, and the organisers included booze for the stall holders at lunch time. Seems to be the way it's done in rural France.

roguepixie Wed 18-Sep-13 15:04:56

Cookies - Hummingbird have a good recipe for the squidgey ones that ooze out.
Brownies.
Traybakes.
Crispy crackle cakes - they seem to grow legs and walk off the stand whenever they appear at a cake sale.

midori1999 Wed 18-Sep-13 16:56:38

I did a load of cakes for a sale recently and the ones that sold best were carrot cake (always seems popular!) and anything that presumably people thought looked nice, including a load of cupcakes I just piped a swirl of buttercream on and then stuck sweets on for the kids, loads of adults bought them for themselves! I also did a choc orange tray bake with slices of chocolate orange on the top (you can always get them cheaply) and they were popular too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now