Does lekach (honey cake) always taste this disappointing?

(8 Posts)
ILoveAFullFridge Thu 05-Sep-13 22:09:50

I've tried Claudia Roden and Rose Elliot, but year after year my lekach is always dry and vaguely bland - even with loads of spices added - the strongest taste is the bicarb. It never really tastes particularly of honey - even with 2/3 of a jar in the mix.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

KosherBacon Sat 07-Sep-13 07:54:42

Have you tried Evelyn Rose's honey cake? Also what honey are you using? If you use a cheap bland honey you will get a bland honey cake. A little bit of ginger or cinnamon helps boost the flavour too.

bonzo77 Sat 07-Sep-13 07:59:20

Evelyn roses's One. The first on in her new international Jewish book, the red one. Perfect every time. I find claudia's recipes, though beautiful, often do not work.

ILoveAFullFridge Sat 07-Sep-13 08:27:46

I always mix up Evelyn Rose and Rose Elliot! I meant Evelyn Rose. I have her New Complete International Jewish Cookbook, and TBH I use it more for inspiration than recipes as nothing I bake from it ever comes out well. Claudia Roden OTOH generally comes out perfect.

ILoveAFullFridge Sat 07-Sep-13 08:29:38

The blue book, not very new - I've had it a few years.

bonzo77 Sat 07-Sep-13 10:01:08

I think the blue one is an older edition. Isn't it funny how our experiences with the same recipes varies so much. I'll look up the recipe in a bit.

KosherBacon Sat 07-Sep-13 10:24:53

Some of the recipes are slightly updated with each edition. My SIL has the white and gold one, I have the blue one, my mum has the red one and a really old falling apart 70s one. I think they are made a bit healthier (less schmaltz more marg sort of thing) and I bet that makes a difference.

ILoveAFullFridge Sat 07-Sep-13 16:57:35

Not convinced that shmaltz is any less healthy than marge. Definitely tastier!
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now