Scones - advice needed!

(17 Posts)
loobs2 Sun 01-Sep-13 16:53:37

I've been baking for years but for some reason my attempts at scones have always ended in disappointment - no matter what recipe and method I've followed (and we're talking several) they just never rise properly. Could my fan oven be to blame? Anyone got a foolproof recipe?

Liskey Sun 01-Sep-13 19:21:38

I've always had success with this recipe (ok tried it twice but worked very well!) however scones don't rise a lot anyway make them really quite thick about 4cm as the recipe says:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/classic-scones-with-jam-and-clotted-cream

2kidsintow Sun 01-Sep-13 19:23:31

Once, I did three recipes at the same time.

One using bisquick mix.
One using a shop mix.
One using the Delia recipe.

They all came out exactly the same! smile

I find that if I make the mix very wet, then tip it out onto a pile of extra flour and give it a bit of light kneading, then roll it out gently (quite thick) then they come out nicely.

Liskey Sun 01-Sep-13 19:25:43
teabagpleb Sun 01-Sep-13 19:28:00

Scones don't actually rise that much - roll out the dough about 2/3 of an inch thick and see if that helps.

I make 50-70 scones a week use the same recipe as Liskey. The secrets are warm your milk before adding it to the dry mix, mix quickly with a cold knife, pat don't roll, heat your baking tray and put the scones onto the hot tray before adding to the oven.

2kidsintow Sun 01-Sep-13 21:39:13

I like those tips, blueberry. A few things there I haven't tried, but simple.

Oh, now I want to make scones now. And I only just made a batch of sort-of Chelsea buns that need eating.

Rowlers Sun 01-Sep-13 21:44:18

Liskey, that's the recipe I use and they always come out delicious. The tip about warming the milk with lemon juice works brilliantly.

ninja Sun 01-Sep-13 21:45:33

Or use sour milk, my mum's scones are the best and she always uses soured milk (which is what the lemon will do)

The most likely reason is over working the dough

And not cutting them thick enough - need to be three quarters thick

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 21:50:51

I usePaul Hollywooods recipe with bread flour, from How To Bake. It has never failed me.

It's important to not twist the cutter, you must stamp them out IYSWIM and be careful with the egg wash.

This recipe does really rise too.

Ineedanewone Sun 01-Sep-13 22:00:18

Like blueberry said don't roll just get mix the dough up and knead very lightly, then pat to about 2 cm thickness.
Let the milk be your raising agent, and put into a pre heated hot oven, so the milk can quickly turn to steam.
Some times the flour in your cupboard can be dried out, so go for a little more liquid so the mix feels like very soft playdough.

MaMattoo Sun 01-Sep-13 22:05:52

I use the bbcgoodfood one too, it's fail safe!!

Less is more. And not too wet.

macskater Sun 01-Sep-13 22:11:52

I would love to be able to make really good scones and whatever the secret is, it is not simply following a recipe because we should all be able to do that.
One of my friends could famously rustle up a batch of scones on seeing a car approach her house. Her approach road was longish but still an admirable feat.

loobs2 Sun 01-Sep-13 22:38:46

Wow what great tips! Thanks so much everyone. I'd all but given up on homemade scones but now I'm inspired to have another go grin

hugoagogo Sun 01-Sep-13 22:44:30

MMM scones, I might make some tomorrow. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now