Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Birthday cake for somebody that hates birthday cake

(45 Posts)
utterlyashamedofmyself Sun 01-Sep-13 16:41:47

Its my Db's 18th birthday & I have been tasked with making him a surprise cake .
The only thing is he can't stand birthday cake shock

So im thinking a chocolate cake unless somebody can think of something else as im at a loss .

I'm ok at baking as long as the recipe is easy to follow .

thanks

JonesH Tue 17-Sep-13 16:35:20

i went to a birthday party recently where the girl had profiterole tower, it just had a sugar icing plaque at the front saying happy birthday and was drizzled with choc sauce.

utterlyashamedofmyself Sun 01-Sep-13 23:24:48

I only started baking recently so not able to do anything to wow iyswim blush

Definitely has to be a cake though as he hasn't had a cake since he was 4 sad

Anywho thanks for all the amazing suggestions my mouth is watering now as they all sound so good

I will have a look at some of the ideas suggested on here tomorrow

thanks wine cake brew

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 01-Sep-13 20:48:46

OR Choc brownies

or an ice cream sandwich

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 01-Sep-13 20:48:29

A BAKED ALASKA

I would stick a candle in something he does like (scotch egg, pork pie or similar for my DH!), you could still make the cake for those guests who do like cake of course!

heidihole Sun 01-Sep-13 20:41:19

cheesecake! yum!

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 20:30:59

Oh and the coke cakes are good too. There are loads of recipes online, but I have always used Nigella. Again cook for longer than she suggests!

somewheresomehow Sun 01-Sep-13 20:02:16

how about a cookie cake one huge cookie with candles

unlucky83 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:41:10

Chocolate truffle cake ...thin layer of chocolate sponge/crunchy biscuit base and chocolate gananche...you do white chocolate ganache too and make it a marbled effect ...
Can decorate with white chocolate ...
Should use spoon for eating though [blush - I have eaten with fingers!) and in theory need a smaller size as really rich...hmm I would need a normal birthday size though...grin
(mouth watering at thought)
Needs keeping in fridge though - not good for hiding?

iamaredsmartie Sun 01-Sep-13 19:26:52

i went to a wedding recently where the wedding cake wasn't a cake at all, but made up of tiers of truckles of different cheeses. Real cheese, draped with leaves and flowers. Very pretty.

Later in the evening lots of crackers were brought out and it was all munched up.

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 19:23:40

guiness cake.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

I don't like cake, so I always have candles in a large round of Camembert or Brie for my birthday!

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 18:20:51

I would love a cake of cheese but would resent sharing it grin

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sun 01-Sep-13 18:19:11

I don't like birthday cake (sponge of any kind) so would appreciate the following:

1. Chocolate cake
2. Fruit cake
3. Cake of Cheese (like below but not so expensive!!)

www.johnlewis.com/the-fine-cheese-co-beth-celebration-cheese-cake-6-38kg/p231628732?kpid=231628732&s_kenid=53e9b0f9-485c-4669-724b-00005037adca&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Damnautocorrect Sun 01-Sep-13 18:14:38

You can get three tiered 'cakes' that are cheese.

solveproblem Sun 01-Sep-13 18:09:46

Savoury sandwich cake!

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 18:07:00

No,but I do have the best brownie recipe, ever! It's the Linda McCartney one she gave to Green and Blacks, and you could defo use chilli chocolate instead if regular.

Will look for the link if you want it?

utterlyashamedofmyself Sun 01-Sep-13 17:39:51

Mmm Blondies I love them grin

Thanks for all the fantastic ideas cake

I've managed to find out he will eat chocolate cake so I think I'll make him one of them though with a twist iyswim

Last question I promise

Does anybody have a nice recipe for like a chilli chocolate cake or something along those lines

A masshooove pork pie wink

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 17:19:07

Blondies are good, gooey and easy to make. Nigellas white chocolate and macadamia ones are good. But as with all Nigella recipes they need longer in the oven than she thinks!

Also, cheesecake is good and easy!

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 17:16:57

Make a dummy cake. Ice a cake box to look like a birthday cake but fill it with his favourite goodies.

I have done cheesecake for a birthday, and mars bar krispie cake. I don't believe any bloke would say no to Mars bar krispie cake.

PeanutPatty Sun 01-Sep-13 17:08:18

A massive Brownie?

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 17:05:00

Oh! I like pudding though - like apple crumble or pie. Would that be an option?

Iamcountingto3 Sun 01-Sep-13 17:04:53

Or baked Alaska?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now