Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Birthday cake for somebody that hates birthday cake

(45 Posts)
utterlyashamedofmyself Sun 01-Sep-13 16:41:47

Its my Db's 18th birthday & I have been tasked with making him a surprise cake .
The only thing is he can't stand birthday cake shock

So im thinking a chocolate cake unless somebody can think of something else as im at a loss .

I'm ok at baking as long as the recipe is easy to follow .

thanks

Waswondering Sun 01-Sep-13 16:42:39

Ice cream cake?

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 16:44:22

Doesn't like cake or doesn't like cakes that say happy birthday and have loads of candles?

Or something else? What doesn't he like about birthday cake?

Waswondering Sun 01-Sep-13 16:44:56

For example, http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ice-cream-cake-77

motherinferior Sun 01-Sep-13 16:45:56

Chocolate biscuit cake?

merrymonsters Sun 01-Sep-13 16:47:18

Cheesecake?

minipie Sun 01-Sep-13 16:50:48

Almond based cake - there are some lovely orange and almond cakes for example.

AnyoneButLulu Sun 01-Sep-13 16:51:28

Pavlova?

nocarsgo Sun 01-Sep-13 16:51:43

What do you mean, doesn't like birthday cake? If you mean sponge sandwiched with jam and covered with rolled icing, I don't like that either, it's pretty much the only type of cake I dislike!

But there are a thousand other cakes you can make that are much more delicious than that. I would rather have a nice loaf cake or tray bake or even brownies instead of a traditional birthday cake.

Merrylegs Sun 01-Sep-13 16:54:43

Doesn't. Like. Birthday. Cake.

Nope, sorry. I just don't understand.

How about a virtual cake?

(Actually, ds1, 18 also doesn't eat cake, but that's because he's a bit of a gym slave/healthy eating freak. So perhaps a fruity lemon drizzle or 'healthier' carrot cake?)

Groovee Sun 01-Sep-13 16:55:47

My friend's son doesn't like cake or anything like that Muffins etc.

But he loves cookies, so she gets him a giant cookie from Millie's cookies

motherinferior Sun 01-Sep-13 16:55:55

Actually I'm with Merrylegs. A person who does not like cake is not, well, normal.

utterlyashamedofmyself Sun 01-Sep-13 16:57:07

I presume its the whole Icing/jam/cream thing he doesn't like as I have known him to eat other cakes confused

I can't ask him as its a surprise

I do want it to be an actual cake though

Bluecarrot Sun 01-Sep-13 16:59:06

Rice Krispie "cake"?
Pavlova?

Massive cookie?

Bluecarrot Sun 01-Sep-13 17:02:17

Profiteroles?

BlackMogul Sun 01-Sep-13 17:02:43

For DD's 21st I had a cake of cheese assembled. Cromwell Bishop, Tunworth and a few others arranged as a tiered cake with fresh grapes draped over it. Looked fabulous and the boys at the party loved it. You can find inspiration on the web if there is not an artisan cheese shop near you that can advise on suitable cheeses for each layer. This is a "cake" that lots of people can enjoy who may not want a standard baked cake. It helps if DB likes cheese though!

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 17:03:31

I don't like cake and have had vienetta or cheesecake with candles in for my birthday.

Iamcountingto3 Sun 01-Sep-13 17:03:46

Pile of choc brownies heaped up with candles in? Nigella recipe is my favourite...

Bluecarrot Sun 01-Sep-13 17:04:45

Could you do a layered cake with one layer regular cake and a "special layer" that's just for the birthday boy made from whatever alternative you chose? That way if its v non-traditional its still cake- like?

Or you know how they make those nappy cake things for baby showers? < shudder> what about a similar thing for your db but with more age appropriate stuff?

Iamcountingto3 Sun 01-Sep-13 17:04:53

Or baked Alaska?

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 17:05:00

Oh! I like pudding though - like apple crumble or pie. Would that be an option?

PeanutPatty Sun 01-Sep-13 17:08:18

A massive Brownie?

I have done cheesecake for a birthday, and mars bar krispie cake. I don't believe any bloke would say no to Mars bar krispie cake.

DeathByTray Sun 01-Sep-13 17:16:57

Make a dummy cake. Ice a cake box to look like a birthday cake but fill it with his favourite goodies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now