Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Your Best Chocolate Cake recipe is.....

(19 Posts)
Safmellow Sun 01-Sep-13 13:21:42
chrissiegsd Sat 31-Aug-13 15:51:29

This one is really lovely & a firm fave with us, also super easy!

www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2012/02/chocolate-frosted-traybake.html

Bearandcub Fri 30-Aug-13 22:11:33

Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake recipe - delicious!

ThisIsYourSong Fri 30-Aug-13 22:09:35

Good luck! I find I have to process it a but longer than she says (about 5 minutes) otherwise it's a bit crumbly

Stase Fri 30-Aug-13 21:00:00

this by Rose Levy Beranbaum is gorgeous.

Or this by me if a brownie would fit the bill?

I really want a slice of chocolate cake now, with ganache sad

ResNullius Fri 30-Aug-13 20:59:33

Choc Devils Food Cake .....uses 8fl oiz soured milk!
Sounds dire but is the nicest choc cake I have ever come across. With choc sour cream frosting, it is THE cake of demand in this family smile

littlemissnormal Fri 30-Aug-13 20:52:51

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1161646/chocolate-and-caramel-layer-cake

^^this is amazing and feeds lots of cake loving people!

nannycook Fri 30-Aug-13 20:48:48

Clottedcream, i've started using Mary Berry's ultimate choc cake, its lovely and so simple, it says alot of caster sugar as you need this to make it sweeter because the amount of cocoa you use can make cakes abit bitter.

clottedcreamteaplease Fri 30-Aug-13 17:56:26

I'm going to try yours this is your song! Will let you know how it turns out

MikeLitoris Fri 30-Aug-13 15:53:08

Yes, you need cocoa powder. Not hot chocolate powder.

ThisIsYourSong Fri 30-Aug-13 09:14:13

Ultimate chocolate cake is so easy and the best chocolate cake ever...

rockybalboa Fri 30-Aug-13 08:20:02

Surely the Galaxy stuff you used was drinking chocolate not cocoa powder? Not the same thing at all. I agree that Green & Blacks is the way forward.

Hummingbird Brooklyn Blackout - either with the chocolate custard as per recipe if for a pudding cake, or chocolate buttercream if for coffee/snack.

Chocolate cake needs lots of dark cocoa - I tend to use Bournville if available. Must be cocoa, not drinking chocolate.

Another tip for keeping it dark and borderline bitter is to add coffee. I make up very strong instant coffee (three or four spoons of instant with 30-50ml water, or real coffee reduced on the hob until almost syrupy) and add to the cake batter.

I find that adding coffee to the icing makes the cake taste of coffee, whereas adding it to the cake batter to cook out just sort of infuses the cake with the coffee characteristics but not the flavour.

eatyourveg Thu 29-Aug-13 20:45:15

4 4 4 2 or 6 6 6 3 with the best cocoa you can find - can't go wrong

hermioneweasley Thu 29-Aug-13 20:37:16

Google the good food ultimate chocolate cake. Easy and came out perfectly. Last time I made it with a peanut butter frosting layer under the chocolate. Yum!

CMOTDibbler Thu 29-Aug-13 20:37:04

I make this one, and it is amazing. I do use G&B cocoa in it

gybegirl Thu 29-Aug-13 20:35:21

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-fudge-cake-168

It's fool proof and without a doubt the most delicious choc cake I've ever had. The icing makes hardened atheists believe they've died and gone to heavengrin

Abra1d Thu 29-Aug-13 20:34:35

DOn't use anything except Green & Blacks or something equally high quality. Galaxy probably didn't have enough cocoa solids in it.

clottedcreamteaplease Thu 29-Aug-13 20:20:38

Just that I made one from a recipe using coco powder and it was bland not chocolatey at all and quite pale it was galaxy chocolate powder I used and quite sweet.

Want to make another two doubted butter creamed together but want it to be dark and chocolatey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now