Using shaped cake tin/mould for the first time

(7 Posts)

After several years of trying to make shaped train cakes, I got a silicon train mould for DS2's birthday cake. Now I'm getting worried about using it. What would be the best sort of recipe? How do I work out how much mixture to make?

I'm going to have to do a practice run, aren't I? Has anybody got any top tips or words of wisdom for me??

Silcone cake moulds are great! What are the measurements? I think a practice would be worth it and a good excuse for cake grin Did it come with instructions for the cake size?

I always use madeira or heavy chocolate cake for shaped tins - light sponges just don't seem to hold a defined shape when decorated.

PA - it came from Aldi, so no instructions at all. It's about 12" x 7.5" at its widest, and about 3" deep. It held about 3 pints of water before spilling.

MyCat - thanks, I'll go and look for madeira recipes then.

So I had a trial run and it baked unevenly because the mould is deeper in some parts than others. Also, the middle rose right up like a volcano so that when I turned it out, it broke in two sown the faultline. Should I bake it at a lower temperature? I had it on 160 degrees with no fan.

I would think that 160 is the lowest temperature you should go down to really. Do you have a fan? That would help to put it on, I think. Also, if you leave it to cool a bit in the mould before turning out next time and perhaps shave off any Volcano-ing so that it turns out flat. Lots of things can be covered up with icing or chocolate.
You could try a recipe without baking powder also to deter the volcano effect.
When's the birthday? How many practices can you have??? smile

Thanks again, PA. The party is a week today but I can't afford the eggs and butter for too many practices!! I'll try it a bit lower with the fan I think. I thought without was supposed to be better for cakes. I'm a bit worried about my icing skills too, but he's only 4 so his friends won't mind, and my super-brilliant cake-decorator friend isn't coming. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now