What did I do wrong with this brownie recipe?

(15 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 27-Aug-13 15:05:06

I am baking this and it's been in the oven for 1hr and 20mins and its still raw in the middle. I followed the recipe to the letter confused

I've had to cover the top with foil to stop it burning while the middle cooks.angry

I was going to enjoy this while watching GBBO later.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 27-Aug-13 15:11:35

I'm no expert, but is it raw in the middle or just gooey? Brownies should be gooey in the middle.

Are you sure it's raw and not just supposed to be squidgey? It might firm up as it cools, especially if it has a high butter / chocolate content.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 27-Aug-13 15:55:46

It was definitely raw. It hadn't changed consistency in the middle at all confused

I took it out after I posted and it's cooked and looks yum but I haven't cut into it yet. Im new to baking so not really sure what Im doing yet.

Let it cool, then try it. I am sure that it will be OK.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 27-Aug-13 18:09:14

I would expect some margin of error with recipe cooking times but 3x the recommended time seems a little excessive. The brownie is fab though grin

Mintyy Tue 27-Aug-13 18:10:37

There is probably something wrong with your oven.

I was shock at 1 hr 20 mins...you didn't by any chance put your oven on 200 deg f rather than 200 deg c??
Hope they taste good.
ps brownies are usually very wobbly in the middle when you get them out, if you leave in tray to cool, it'll 'firm' up a bit

justanuthermanicmumsday Tue 27-Aug-13 18:31:39

did you preheat your oven? You set it to the right temp?

If above are done something wrong with your oven?

conicidentally I'm getting into baking too. I also tried brownies last week. But I don't think I'm mad for brownies. Next time I might try toffee brownies.

the site I looked at said brownies should not be cooked more than 30 mins.

When they're done the tops won't look so smooth and marble like anymore but slight cracks and slightly lighter in colour on top.

Wen you touch it gentle should spring back up.

If you put a toothpick in the centre you should get tiny bits of crumb on the stick but it shouldn't be caked in a thick gooey crumb.

It should never be cooked like a cake should be bit soft in centre. Hence never cook over 30 mins.p unless you've got it on too low a setting?

I made it once kids loved it too strong for me.

P.s when making brownies try and go for American recipes, since they invented brownies I reckon they'll have an array of recipes and tips least that's what I've found.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 27-Aug-13 21:11:21

Oven only 8months old and has cooked everything else fine. I baked cupcakes before the brownies today and they cooked as expected. I don't have a farenheit setting, just celcius so no error on that.

a skewer was coming out of the middle covered in wet goo so definitely undercooked.

it was still nice smile the cream cheese and raspberry lightened it up as i don't usually like chocolate things. it was more for dh's benefit grin

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 27-Aug-13 21:12:24

ps - i don't think they were conventional brownies at all. more just chocolate sponge really with added extras.

Haw deep was the mix in your pan? It should probably only be 3/4" to 1" deep. Any deeper than that and you would certainly need to increase the cooking time, and they would probably then be overcooked at the margins.

chrissiegsd Sat 31-Aug-13 15:57:37

I've tried loads of brownie recipes in a bid to find a recipe as nice as Betty Crocker boxed ones and this is the nearest I've found

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3431/chocolate-brownie-cake

I just bake it in an 8" square pan

Artandtravel Sat 07-Sep-13 08:29:19

I had a delicious brownie at Paul last week. If I could make them like that, I'd be happy. If I make brownies at home I just use the box mix... or my brownie is a chocolate cake gone wrong. Then i announce that we're having brownies instead of cake. my favourite cook book is from Bero. i have one from the 1940's and it is simple with good basic recipes that can be experimented with. Too gooey in the middle-perhaps it was not a good recipe . Maybe too much oil or butter in it. Not enough flour.

somewheresomehow Fri 13-Sep-13 18:14:42

try the Anthony Worral Thompson triple choc brownies. my lot eat them like theres no tomorrow
do use unsalted butter tho not marg i did use marg last time and they didnt rise . still got ate tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now