question about reusing a fruit cake...

(9 Posts)
Umlauf Sun 25-Aug-13 09:20:46

I am clueless about cakes, and so apologies in advance for what is probably a ridiculous question but...

If I got married last June, can I reuse the top tier of my wedding cake for my sons christening this December? So it will be 18 months old, uncut, iced with marzipan and icing, and has been stored in a Tupperware in my bedroom since the wedding.

I don't want to have to re-ice as my Grandmother did the decoration and its beautiful, but would do if I had to! Will it kill anyone?!

Tia!

nannycook Sun 25-Aug-13 11:22:03

I guess you can, isnt that what most people did years ago? They always kept the top tier for a christening, as long as it has a decent amount of alcohol in it which preserves it i'm sure they're fine, as long as its stored in the right conditions. I made a 12 inch fruit cake in march for a wedding at the end of june, and it was gorgeous.

As long as it is stored correctly. It will be lush.

It will be absolutely fine, though the icing may taste a little stale, so it would be helful if you could pinch a small amout without damaging the cake too badly. If it tastes ok, a quick steam with a clean iron will have it looking fresh. If you think it needs re-icing and you can't do it, ask around for a local cake-maker, some will recover for a small fee.

Umlauf Sun 25-Aug-13 11:51:25

thanks so much. Steam a cake with an iron!? Excellent tip, will do so! I'm going to make cupcakes to match so if its truly horrid it wont be the end of the world.

Yes, very gently, and from a good distance so you don't get water spots. But its a relevation! Its great for getting icnig sugar off black icing too, it just melts away. If you do get a water spot, wipe it off immediately as it melts into the icing and will leave a dent in it. Would love to see a pic

Umlauf Sun 25-Aug-13 12:35:30

Thank you! It's at my Mum's so I can't inspect it now but this is it above its other tiers at the wedding last year. My Granny is a very talented lady! The only issue I had was that I´m not keen on fruit cake so didn't eat any of it!!

That is stunning, I don't blame you for not wanting to recover! I hope it works out ok for you

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 30-Aug-13 16:11:56

We had the top tier of our wedding cake for DS's christening. We had to re ice as the White royal icing had gone yellow and looked a bit grim. My mum did it, as none of the local cake makers could be bothered or were going to charge almost as much as a complete new cake.

We also spiked the bottom of the cake and laced it with orange juice to make sure it was still moist. I hate dry fruit cake!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now