Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

90th Birthday Cake - Please help!!!

(8 Posts)
MikeLitoris Sun 18-Aug-13 21:40:48

It is really simple.

I dont use the number tins, I bake big cakes and cut the numbers freehand.

Once cut I cover in a thin layer of buttercream. Before it dries touch I use chocolate fingers to go around the outside. Then I get some more buttercream and pipe a border around the numbers. I then get a big box of malteaser and fill the top.

To make it a bit more 'decorated" I get some florists wire and make some spirals, poke a malteaser onto the end and it looks like they are floating above the cake.

This is the most popular cake I make atm. Doing at least one a week, either numbers or a plain round cake.

ArtyFartyQueen Sun 18-Aug-13 21:29:22

Thanks all - think I will stick with buttercream! Mikelitoris - could you explain how you decorated the cakes? They look the fun and I think the kids would love it!

MikeLitoris Sun 18-Aug-13 08:18:38

Yep. Bit of Nutella buttercream and cover in malteasers.

It os so easy to do and always looks good.

nannycook Sun 18-Aug-13 06:40:22

No it doesnt, it looks yummy, is that choccy fingers and malteasers i see on your cake Mike?

MikeLitoris Sat 17-Aug-13 22:30:04

Hate posting pictures on here. They look crap.

MikeLitoris Sat 17-Aug-13 22:29:17

I do number cakes like this. Usually in milk choc but could do white chocolate on a vanilla cake. Very easy to do.

nannycook Sat 17-Aug-13 18:35:09

Arty, it depends what decoration your gonna use, if you go with flowers etc then a cake covered in fondant would look so much nicer, but saying that if you cover them in buttercream you could put malteasers, flake, on top and a few bits and bobs, do whatever your comfortable with and give dont give yourself to much stress to get it right, if your not used to making fondant covered cakes they can be abit daunting, i made one for someone today( just put pic on my profile) and believe me i had my problems.

ArtyFartyQueen Sat 17-Aug-13 17:31:30

Hi All,

I have taken on the task of doing a cake DP's Nan's 90th Birthday party next weekend. My friend by chance has a 9 and a 0 cake tin like this

Having spoken to DP's mum she thinks a sponge would be better than a fruit cake so I was thinking of doing one number in Victoria or Madeira and one in chocolate but not sure about how or if I should do a filling or just do jam and buttercream on the top for the Victoria and fudge icing on top of the other and whether to leave it like that or cover it in fondant icing - also not sure on quantities of mixture either!

She mentioned that she likes flowers so I was thinking of either making or buying some flowers to put on the top.

As you can see I'm really not sure how to go about it so would really appreciate any advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now