Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

best sponge recipe and method for everyones celebration cakes

(16 Posts)
BrianButterfield Sun 18-Aug-13 18:47:23

I use sponge for everyday cakes but made an elaborate cake for DS's birthday and make Madeira - much more forgiving and very tasty. Keeps well for longer, too.

CorrieDale Sun 18-Aug-13 18:43:03

My cakes were always yucky until a friend took me in hand. She weighs the eggs and uses the same weight of flour sugar and butter. Cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Then add the dry ingredients and eggs beaten with some vanilla extract. The resulting cake tastes divine.

nannycook Sun 18-Aug-13 18:35:04

Good grief Mike, just checked her out, OMG She is absolutely amazing, definitely someone i could benefit from so thanks for that.x

nannycook Sun 18-Aug-13 16:52:31

Ha ha i have two weeks to teach myself how to make a spray and work fulltime, wil give it a go and post a pic if i think its ok.

nannycook Sun 18-Aug-13 16:50:54

Exit, thank you, but we all have to start somewhere and i've learnt a huge amount in the last year alone. as taste to me is important so is the look as i make cakes for a few people, and the last cake the 40th anniverary gave me more than enough problems if i'm honest but it turned out ok in the end. have a go at something simple and build from there, you'll soon learn.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sun 18-Aug-13 11:52:21

Have a look at la lavende and her fb page. Seriously the best flowers I have ever seen. I'm they do tutorials too.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sun 18-Aug-13 11:49:04

No. Not done a spray before. Flowers are not my speciality. I've been looking at doing a course but not sure I can commit to weekly classes.

There are so many tutorials out there. Im sure you will be fine.

Oh goodness. Have just looked at your pics. I am not in your league.

<exits>

Sorry. I don't do looks. I go for taste wink

I am totally hopeless at decorating. I only make for family.

nannycook Sun 18-Aug-13 06:36:43

So glad i'm not the only who has disasters, even go as far as thinking i'm not cut out to do it, and another thing is,everything i do is done when i get home from work. What upset me with this cake was i couldnt even smooth it out, it was so wet all over, have a look at the pic i put on an tell me what you think, never mind hopefully it tastes ok and thats the main thing.

Got another anniversary cake to make in two weeks, she wants a replica of her wedding flowers, a spray of white and pink roses, gyp, amd lily of the valley, a spray is something i haven't done before, arrrghhh !!! have you Mike or Exit?

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 17-Aug-13 22:01:49

Oh I have had the same. Usually start off doing it all properly, by the time the dc have started whining for something I resort to throwing it all the mixer and hoping for the best.

Also had the sinking issue last week. Was the bottom layer of a really tall 12inch cake that was being picked up on the same day.

I just had to trim it and have a smaller cake. Awkward as I had already baked and iced an identical cake. They had to be the same as they were for brothers celebrating a joint birthday.

Not my finest cakey moment

Anything I make for a special occasion is never as good as the ad hoc ones. Presume the stress channels through my fingers.

Cream cheese and mascarpone is my topping du jour.

nannycook Sat 17-Aug-13 18:20:08

Mike and Exit, thats interesting because the other night i had to make an 8 inch square cake for an anniverary cake for today, usual mix, usual method, for me anyway (creaming method) and normally they turn out fine, but i got abit stressed as i attempted to cook also( fish pie) the only thing i can think off i did was to stop my mixer after i creamed the butter and sugar for few mins to do something else, then carried on as normal, well the dame thing sunk before my eyes, so mortified i started again, time was against me so i bunged everything in and mixed for few mins put it in the oven and it was bloody fine.

So my question is, was it due to the fact i stopped the mixer even though it was all nice and fluffy? My nitemare didnt end there though, i had some buttercream left over with some creamcheese in it and put it in my sponge and for the crumb coat, all fine i thought untill i came to cover it in fondant, no no no, will never do it again as the fondant was wet, shiny, and very very sticky, was not happy, didnt know what to do so the only thing was to see if it would dry over night, thankfully it did but it was touch and go, the moral of this story is i found out later dont put creamcheese in your frosting as apparently it dissolves the icing, lesson learned for me i'm afraid.

Basic sponge. All in one but beat for two minutes after it has all mixed.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 17-Aug-13 16:06:16

I use a basic sponge and creaming method.

I dont tend to carve cakes much so haven't really needed to do a madeira. Even tall cakes have been ok with a normal sponge. Plenty of dowels seem to keep it all upright!

nannycook Fri 16-Aug-13 22:52:20

Out of interest what does every one use in the their cakes, what type of sponge i mean do people use mostly? Classic sponge or madeira, and do people prefer the all in one or the creaming method?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now