Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Urgent: can I substitute SR flour for plain flour in my cheesecake?

(8 Posts)
breadandhoney Tue 13-Aug-13 12:11:11

Oh goodness. Thanks for your replies. They came too late as I was all ready to mix it up when I posted but I used SR flour and it turned out fine. Just the same as before when I had used plain. As Tee said it was only 2 tbsp. I was just panicking as it was my contribution to someone else's dinner!!

Thanks for being lovely and replying smile

Tee2072 Sun 11-Aug-13 10:26:13

Is it the one that has only 2 tablespoons of flour? It won't make any difference.

dizzy77 Sun 11-Aug-13 09:57:23

I did in some biscuits the other week. Was worried they would puff up like a balloon (especially since I blindly added the required baking powder after I'd decided I'd leave that out to make amends) and they were fine. Not sure of the cheeses cake recipe but imagine you'd be fine, if its a large proportion of flour could you leave the batter hanging around for a while before cooking in the hope any raising action is lost during standing?

coffeeinbed Sun 11-Aug-13 09:55:50

if the flour goes in the cheese cream mix then I'd rather use cornflour and not SR

Slainte Sun 11-Aug-13 09:54:43

Sorry, I've just re read your OP and realise you're looking for the exact opposite of what I've answered. grin

Slainte Sun 11-Aug-13 09:53:29

Do you have baking powder? If so Nigella recommends 2 teaspoons of baking powder for each 150g of plain flour used. HTH smile

breadandhoney Sun 11-Aug-13 09:47:58

I also have cornflour.

breadandhoney Sun 11-Aug-13 09:45:21

Have run out of plain flour. Only have self raising. Will this do? Making a baked raspberry and white choc cheesecake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now