2 tier birthday cake for dummies

(3 Posts)

Does anyone have a really idiot proof recipe and tin sizes?

I am thinking that I would like it quite big, so perhaps 3 layers per cake, but as my cakes don't rise well, maybe I should use sandwich tins and bake individual layers rather than a huge cake that I slice.

Any help would be appreciated

bacon Tue 30-Jul-13 13:31:32

If you are going to make a deep 3 - 3.5" cake then you need a deep tin. Or you have to mess with 3 sandwich tins. A celebration cake should have three layers.

If you were basing tins on 20cm, 15cm & 10cm will give you good proportions.

Use this www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2009/07/27/how-to-i-change-a-cake-recipe-quanities/ Its based on a 20cm cake.

www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/ will give you a deep proper rich chocolate that freezes well.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10860/easy-vanilla-cake makes two tiers so you'll have to add another by halving the recipe.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1276636/doublethelove-chocolate-cake is also a great recipe.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6417/orange-berry-wedding-cake

Hope these help!

Thank you so much. I have 26cm and 20cm tins that are deep. But my deep cakes don't rise well so I have a bottom layer and a doughnut on top!! blush so I was actually going to make smaller layers. Will that work with the deep tins?
And do I really have to have 3 layers? Tis only for my DS 4th birthday party........

Also, would like to make DD a number 1 chocolate cake. Could I adapt the above recipe and cover it in rolled icing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now