Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Recommendation for a good, rick chocolate sponge for celebration cake

(9 Posts)
bluey12 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:34:58

Hi, looking for a tried, tested and recommended recipe for a rich moist chocolate cake that I can put icing and decorate on for my parents ruby anniversary, thanks!

foolonthehill Tue 23-Jul-13 13:40:06

have made this as a wedding cake (3 tiers) and on numerous other occasions always a winner. Nigella has a similar receipe.....but this one's better (modest)

(makes 12 slice cake)
250ml Guinness
250g unsalted butter, sliced
100g good quality plain chocolate (70%)
35g cocoa
400g caster sugar
1 x 142ml pot plain yoghurt
2 free range eggs
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

for the icing
300g Philadelphia cream cheese
150g icing sugar
125ml double or whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and line a 23cm springform tin. Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan add butter, and heat until the butter has melted, at which time you should stir in the chocolate, cocoa and sugar. Beat the yoghurt with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the chocolatey, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.

Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.

To make the frosting lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Separately whip the cream until it just begins to thicken but still holds it shape. Pour the cream to the cream cheese mix and beat again until combined and reaches a spreadable consistency. Frost the top of the Guinness cake.

dufflefluffle Tue 23-Jul-13 13:45:51
GraduallyGoingInsane Tue 23-Jul-13 13:49:33

I love Mary Berry's Divine Chocolate Cake. It's really fudgy and rich - every single time I've made it for someone they've loved it, and that includes my fussy Father! It's like a very easy version of a Sachertorte, and the end result is just as good.

Added benefit is that it's flourless so great for gluten free diets.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/495997/mary-berry-s-chocolate-birthday-cake

GraduallyGoingInsane Tue 23-Jul-13 13:50:19
wem Tue 23-Jul-13 13:55:58

This is a fab chocolate fudge cake recipe. I have the book it's from originally so can give you the different quantities if you need a different size cake.

dufflefluffle Tue 23-Jul-13 21:08:17

Actaully Mary Berrys Divine Chocolate cake was the recipe I was looking for bluey so there's two recommendations for it!

bluey12 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:33:36

Thanks all, lots to choose from! I might even have to make a few just to see which works best (honest!). Guess the diet starts next week;)

bacon Tue 30-Jul-13 13:40:23

I have baked a lot of chocolate cakes and they have to contain real chocolate with the addition of cream or yoghurt to have the moisture.

These are the best throu my trails:

www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/ This recipe is used widely by professional cake makers as its height is perfect.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4577/wedding-cake-rich-dark-chocolate-cake Another great cake but not as deep as above.

There are a few on BBC goodfood website worth considering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now