100 cupcakes for an engagement party!

(4 Posts)
Root99 Wed 17-Jul-13 11:51:33

I have offered to make cupcakes for an engagement party in August. I think I will make 50 vanilla and 50 chocolate, bake ahead and freeze. The buttercream can also be frozen can't it?
What I'm after is some good (non-extravagant) recipes that are nice and easy. I am a confident baker so not too worried. I was thinking of having a look at some of the Hummingbird Bakery recipes.
Also any tips for where to buy nice but not too expensive cupcake cases? I was wondering about Wilkinsons.
And I would also love any ideas for great decorations that won't cost the earth. I did wonder about strawberries for the vanilla ones.
I guess the theme is nice but cheap!!

bluesky Wed 17-Jul-13 11:59:26

Wilkinsons have good plain white cases. Sainsburys have pretty and cheap cases.

But do a trial run first with your chosen cupcakes, so you can check that the butter doesn't leak through or that the cases peel away from the cupcakes.

You can't freeze the buttercream on the cupcake, but you could freeze the cupcakes well wrapped/sealed. Let them defrost properly and then decorate. You can make the buttercream a few days beforehand, and then bring it to room temperature, whip it up again and you're ready to go.

If you are putting fresh fruit on, you need to do that at the least minute, as the juices do leak out after a while.

You could make some loveheart decorations very cheaply. Get some block fondant icing from a supermarket, costs about £1. Some red gel food colouring. Get mixing. Roll out thinly (about thickness of £1 coin) and with a heart cutter make loads of hearts! Leave them out to harden over 24-48 hours. Store them somewhere without a sealed lid, eg a cardboard box, not tupperware as they will "melt" and soften. These you could get done and out of the way well before August.

The Hummingbird chocolate recipe is good, it's on the Tesco website.

You can't go wrong with a lovely plain vanilla one, just make sure you buy vanilla extract and not the essence, as the essence tastes really synthetic.

Good luck!

The buttercream dosn't need to be frozen, it will keep in the fridge for at least a month (I've kept it longer than that with no problems)

it would be better if you could bake the day before they're needed, cupcakes get frostburn very easily, and defrosting them can cause them to peel

bluesky's idea of little hearts is a good one, but if you're not in the mood to be cutting them out, you can get shaped sprinkles. Try B&M's or home bargains if you have them local

KatoPotato Wed 17-Jul-13 14:17:27

You can buy them plain 49p for 12 in tesco! I did this and decorated myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now